AuthorTopic: My first ever animation  (Read 26567 times)

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: My first ever animation

Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 06:47:06 pm
Oppsie, I meant look at mangust's post on your person's FORM. :) From the side-view it just looks wrong as he's not chunky like the front-view. OR if he's really supposed-to to be skinny, then the front-view is wrong.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 06:48:53 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: May 23, 2007, 06:49:21 pm
Ah, this character is meant to be slim, not bulky.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: May 23, 2007, 07:40:19 pm
OR if he's really supposed-to to be skinny, then the front-view is wrong.
Hows that? looks fine to me o.O

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: May 24, 2007, 10:39:29 am
please use the edit button.  Also, he is definitely bulky from the front, skinny from the side.  We know it looks fine to you, you made it, that's the purpose of critique.  We offer you observation that you might not have made on your own, and attempt to offer solutions you might not have found.

As for the guides, the side view character is directly side-on, and the front view character angled, so yes, if you believe you used the guidelines i suggested, you did not.

im off to class, but ill post the guidelines in a few hours
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: May 24, 2007, 11:39:08 am
please use the edit button.  Also, he is definitely bulky from the front, skinny from the side.  We know it looks fine to you, you made it, that's the purpose of critique.  We offer you observation that you might not have made on your own, and attempt to offer solutions you might not have found.

As for the guides, the side view character is directly side-on, and the front view character angled, so yes, if you believe you used the guidelines i suggested, you did not.

im off to class, but ill post the guidelines in a few hours
I'm sorry, by what I said in my last post, I meant that he does not appear bulky at all to me in the south view (except in the very first image, before I got the animation correct), and I definately did not intend him to look bulky. More of a "fit" physique rather than chubby build or a muscular wrestler-like build. And that is how it appears to me when I look at it. Feel free to provide tips on improving the "fit" look I meant for him to have whether it's on the south view, this east view or my future work on this character.

I thought that I did use the guides right, but I have also felt like the perspective is off, of course I do want everything to be correct.
It's very possible that your character that you had within your guides threw me off when I looked at it.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: May 24, 2007, 11:45:46 am
the guides are what puts things in perspective.

here is the sample i startled earlier - sorry it took so long to post

this is what i tried to explain before about setting the circles.  The differences between this sketch and your sideview are not immediately obvious, but when you add in the "ticket que" with red lines for the path of the hands and black lines for the path of the feet, you can see where the difference is.  You have a very angled frontview but your sideview is straight-on.  If he exists in space, that which is "deeper" on the z-axis of the sprite should be higher in the frame.

Only thing i changed was that in my views i pushed the feet apart slightly; walking with your heels together just seems awkward to me, despite it's popularity

If you want him to be less like a wrestler, you need to seriously decrease the width of the shoulders and pull them down where they join the arms.  Only someone with serious muscles can have shoulders that broad and beefy.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:49:04 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: May 24, 2007, 01:21:40 pm
If you want him to be less like a wrestler, you need to seriously decrease the width of the shoulders and pull them down where they join the arms.  Only someone with serious muscles can have shoulders that broad and beefy.
Ok ok ok, maybe I wanted him to be a little bit more than JUST fit... I dunno, but I really like how the south view came out.
At first glance of those guides, I couldn't really tell much of a difference between your edit and my east view character except shading.
As far as how the legs are placed, yeah I messed up there for sure, I thought I had corrected the problem there in one of my last edits, guess I was wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.
Also, I didn't place my guides in the exact positions you did, but mine came out VERY similar to yours, so I guess I wasn't completely off.
Those lines you added for guides in the very bottom of the image, I of course, hadn't thought of.
It's nice to see sorta what my s/e view is going to look like too. -The corner views are what are really freakin me out about making this sprite, not completely comfortable with drawing on an angle like that. :P

I'll do some more editting of it in a bit and see what I come up with.

Also... by wrestler, at the time I was thinking along the lines of Brock Lesnar, Batista, Bobby Lashley, Scott Steiner... which is why I took a bit of weight off my character's arms. :P
I imagine this character's overall build to be along the lines of John Cena, Rob Van Dam, Ray Mysterio, just not nearly as muscular as Cena. If that makes any sense at all.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 01:35:42 pm by Snippa »

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #57 on: May 24, 2007, 01:31:07 pm
I'd also like to point out his edit has pretty good chest anatomy, your looks like hes buff, yet his rip cage shows through oddly.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: May 24, 2007, 01:42:08 pm
I'd also like to point out his edit has pretty good chest anatomy, your looks like hes buff, yet his rip cage shows through oddly.
Wasn't really my intention to make his ribs show through, I guess I can make some edits to that area to see how it comes out. I really just wanted that area to be only a little bit more shaded to add more definition.

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: May 24, 2007, 04:46:47 pm
the animation looks kind of stiff, if the cyclop-like robo move animation was your goal then its good, if not, then add more rotation to the upper arm part and shoulders, i would suggest lowering his chest a bit to give him more scary look.
my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0