AuthorTopic: My first ever animation  (Read 26578 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: My first ever animation

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 02:11:05 am
I gave points on how to improve it. Whether or not you got too offended by them is not something I can change.
I said you needed to redraw the body parts moving, not just move parts of the sprite around. I thought it was pretty clear what I meant, I wasn't intending to go into a full paragraph on it because I'm not that skilled at animating myself, but the point was still clear.

I also stand by what I said about the sprite. You might not want critique on it, but it can make a difference when you go to animate it. I don't know why you got so defensive about what I said, if I wanted to be an ass about it I wouldn't have tried to help at all. I mean, no offense, but I think I gave just as much, or more, points than Adarias, and you thanked him... but alas there's no point in that discussion.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:31:10 am
Maybe it was just the way you worded it dusty, but to me, you came off as being an ass, offering no help.

I actually didn't thank Adarias though, I welcomed his crits. Adarias's crits have helped me in the past to improve my skills... perhaps it was bad timing, but I do appreciate his help whenever he can provide it.

Since theres all this talk about improving the sprite, I figure I may as well show you all my updated sprite then.

There it is, though this thread still isn't about the looks of my sprite. ;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 02:35:10 am by Snippa »

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 05:10:05 am
Update:

starting to look better, but I still need to work on the arms and the legs a bit... looks like more of a run animation than a walk animation at the moment.
Just figured I'd post this as an update because I feel like I'm making a little bit of progress. :)

Edit: Maybe I should have mentioned somewhere that I learn by example rather than being told /shrug. I tend to learn very quickly when given examples or shown what to do.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:20:24 am by Snippa »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:24:15 pm
You missed the single most important thing. The head doesn't move up or down. Also, he's just kicking his legs, they aren't bending or anything...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 04:19:12 pm
Now you're heading in the right direction, but again, problems with the sprite do effect this. I don't know if it's what you're going for, but those shoulders are way too bulky and large. He ends up looking like a football player, so I think those need to be toned down. Also, unless this is a run animation instead of a walk, I think the lower arms are moving way too drastically. And it's already been stated about his legs and head. I think you got the torso movement done well though.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:45:06 pm
You're right Gil, moving the head seems to have helped a bit.
Dusty, I thought the same exact thing, about him looking like a football player  :lol:
So I toned his shoulders down a bit, they look better I think. You're definately right about the arms as well, I went a bit overboard on them.

Here's what I have now:

Still doesn't seem right, the arm movement may be too little now? I'm not sure.
The legs, I don't think I'm getting the leg movement right still. I believe I have improved it by moving the leg that's supposed to be moving forward closer to the other leg (as far as walking rather than running), but I'm not sure how to make it look more like it's moving forward and taking a step.

Thank you for the input guys.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:52:27 pm
if his entire frame is angled down away from camera, why do his motions follow a path straight for us?  is he looking at his feet while climbing stairs?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 09:03:33 pm
if his entire frame is angled down away from camera, why do his motions follow a path straight for us?  is he looking at his feet while climbing stairs?
Hmmm, you think I screwed up the perspective in the animation?
Think I should move the leg thats moving forward in more, closer to the leg that's moving back?
Or shade the legs differently, or both?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 09:19:09 pm
Hmmm, you think I screwed up the perspective in the animation?
Think I should move the leg thats moving forward in more, closer to the leg that's moving back?
Or shade the legs differently, or both?

both, and flop the foot down in the contact frames, and make the "vertical" pixel movement of the feet and arms greater :P
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 10, 2007, 12:06:33 am
 :huh:

Didn't mess with the arms... just tried fixing the perspective is about it. Seems like the legs need a bit more definition, but I think my eyes are going to bleed if I don't take a break soon. Hopefully it's a slight improvement at the least.  :blind: