AuthorTopic: My first ever animation  (Read 26569 times)

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

My first ever animation

on: May 08, 2007, 06:29:35 pm
yeah... it's horrible I know, go ahead & rip this bad boy apart.
->->->
 (old)                        (newest)

->->->->->

Head should be moving a bit when he walks you guys think? heh
arms are horrible I know :)
shoulders are good (I THINK)
Legs I'm not sure about
Chest, I'm not sure about... maybe it shouldn't be animated or maybe animated differently?
Not too concerned with the overall look of the sprite outide of the animation, it does need work yes, but I have alot of work ahead of me and I need to make sure I can animate decently. :)

There appears to be a bit of an error in the animation on the right side by the arm, not sure what caused those pixels there.

this was done with 4 frames. idle frame used twice to make it look a bit smoother.
Thanks in advance for the help guys.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 01:53:07 am by Snippa »

Offline Sharlenwar

• View Profile

Re: My first ever animation

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 12:04:46 am
Well, to me the chest could be animated a bit less. If it was a female, then I wouldn't mind the sway of the taa taa's. Possibly could had a sort of head bob into the animation, would make it seem more natural.

Good job so far! Of course, what do I know?  :P

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:11:49 am
I think the problem is you're looking for shortcuts with this animation by just moving pieces of it around. It hardly ever works like this, especially with people. You're going to have to actually redraw the body parts for the animation to work right.
And to be honest, you should get the sprite itself critiqued and fixed up before moving on to the animation.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:30:14 am
I think the problem is you're looking for shortcuts with this animation by just moving pieces of it around. It hardly ever works like this, especially with people. You're going to have to actually redraw the body parts for the animation to work right.
And to be honest, you should get the sprite itself critiqued and fixed up before moving on to the animation.
Not really looking for shortcuts... as I said, it's my first ever animation, so I really have very little idea on how to go about making it look right, I'm just trying different things out at the moment. I'm aware I need to redraw the parts in every frame, thats what I've been doing for the past 6 hours or so.
The sprite itself is fine in my opinion.. yeah it's a bit pillow shaded, but I'm really not concerned with it, most of it will end up being covered up anyways.

Please try to be helpful next time you critique something, and not just be a critic. Thanks.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 01:08:23 am
His comments are very valid. Frankly said, that's not a human, but a blob. And by shifting regions of pixels around you won't make him walk. Try getting at least a little anatomy into everything.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 01:12:11 am
His comments are very valid. Frankly said, that's not a human, but a blob. And by shifting regions of pixels around you won't make him walk. Try getting at least a little anatomy into everything.
Valid? yes, Helpful? no.
This is not a crit of the sprite, but the animation, please try an keep it on topic, thanks.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 01:28:10 am
What did you expect him to say? Dusty pretty much said what I was thinking, and most likely what many more people were too..

For a first animation I think you achieved what you set out to do, you made something move.... They may not be very realistic movements, but then again your sprite doesn't relate to reality too well, there's no getting round that and it's clear your not willing to take critique on the quality of your sprite.. You've got to understand that the graphics and animation go hand in hand, if the image doesn't make sense then it's going to be very hard to animate well, its especially difficult to critique without bringing up improving the sprite somewhat.

It doesn't look like you took much thought into the animation to be honest, even for a first atempt you should have taken a look at what your own body does whilst your walking, look for tutorials, study other sprites Instead of jumping straight into it and posting for critique.

Im not sure what more to say, without doing most the legwork for you, totally redesigning your sprite, and building a full tutorial on how to make a sprite walk..
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 01:38:42 am
its very hard to make a good animation of a poor sprite.  you've got some of the basic ideas down pat, but id suggest animating something more detailed, so that it's easier to achieve a fuller range of visible motion.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 01:42:34 am

Add some dynamics to it, and make it move like the collossus it is, and you could somewhat salvage it...

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 01:56:40 am
What did you expect him to say? Dusty pretty much said what I was thinking, and most likely what many more people were too..

For a first animation I think you achieved what you set out to do, you made something move.... They may not be very realistic movements, but then again your sprite doesn't relate to reality too well, there's no getting round that and it's clear your not willing to take critique on the quality of your sprite.. You've got to understand that the graphics and animation go hand in hand, if the image doesn't make sense then it's going to be very hard to animate well, its especially difficult to critique without bringing up improving the sprite somewhat.

It doesn't look like you took much thought into the animation to be honest, even for a first atempt you should have taken a look at what your own body does whilst your walking, look for tutorials, study other sprites Instead of jumping straight into it and posting for critique.

Im not sure what more to say, without doing most the legwork for you, totally redesigning your sprite, and building a full tutorial on how to make a sprite walk..
What I was expecting was some pointers on shading certain ways in each frame, moving the arms a certain way - or making them appear to move a certain way, or something along those lines.
What I wasn't expecting was for people to be complete asses and be unhelpful. I thought one of the rules of these forums was something along the lines of "if you're going to critique someone's artwork, be constructive"... and another rule was to not be an ass?

Rule 1:

As it was and as it always shall be: Don't be an ass!
Rule 4: Stay on topic.

Off-topic respite from critiquing is catered for in the same-titled thread on the General forum. If a topic seems to be hampered and derailed consistently by OT discussion, users will be warned, topics split or even locked, depending on the degree of damage done.
When critiquing, remember:

To highlight both the good and the bad about the piece. Comments without actual points of how to make the piece better are near-useless for the purposes of this forum. Pixelation is not a Gallery Showcase forum. It strives on helping people get better. Even if something seems faultless, look closer. There's always at least minor nitpicks to offer. In contrast, a post full of critique and not a single word on the merits of the piece, while would be very useful to an artist, might also upset him or demotivate him. Therefore please remember to say what you like about a piece as well.
To be articulate. When possible, go into detail explaining the reasoning behind your observation. It's one thing to say 'that arm looks broken, lol' and another to explain how the underlying muscle structure would work and why it gives you the impression it's broken, and finally, which would be probable means of fixing it. Optimally, the latter is what we're going for.

Anyways... I HAVE been working on the sprite to make it look better, which is why I am not concerned with the way it looks, I mean, it is pretty obvious that the animations with the arms is completely horrible.

Terley, you are right that I didn't put too much thought into the animation, but really for me it is very difficult at the moment to even think of making any pixels move around in what may seem like a realistic fashion. I have been looking around for tutorials as well as other similar perspective sprite animations, found one that has helped out quite a bit. (which is another thing I was expecting, being pointed in the right direction to find good examples)

I don't expect anyone to do any edits, because usually I will end up doing them in my own style anyways, though edits are always welcome.

Adarias, your crits and comments are always welcome and very much appreciated.

Gil, that's hilarious. As a whole, not exactly what I was going for... lol But the arm and head movement there is pretty much almost exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.