AuthorTopic: Pixelation Complaints  (Read 21889 times)

Offline Bisque

• View Profile

Re: Pixelation Complaints

Reply #30 on: September 17, 2005, 10:43:13 am
yeah, and archive old activities while you are at it.

is there the posiblity to make sub-forum sections? I mean forum sections only linked to from a forum section?

like for example Pixelopolis>Pixelart>portraits

Well..i suppose that would be good for organization purposes but..is it really that feasable? I mean how many people are going to be making enough portraits to warrant a whole subsection JUST for that? And I know that was just an example, but still, the same question would apply to whatever subsection(s) had been suggested. Correct me if i'm wrong lol :x I just dont see there being that much of a need.

EDIT://
(a more strict/helpful signup quiz could resolve this?).

What exactly would a sign-up quiz entail? The persons ability to give critique/abide by rules etc, or their art skills/knowledge? Either way..I dont really see that as fair. By creating a set standard you could be preventing those like myself from even attempting to join simply out of fear. I will say that a lot of you guys scare the crap out of me.

Or did i missunderstand the meaning of what you're suggesting? haha
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 11:23:50 am by Bisque »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 17, 2005, 12:43:18 pm
(a more strict/helpful signup quiz could resolve this?).

What exactly would a sign-up quiz entail? The persons ability to give critique/abide by rules etc, or their art skills/knowledge? Either way..I dont really see that as fair. By creating a set standard you could be preventing those like myself from even attempting to join simply out of fear. I will say that a lot of you guys scare the crap out of me.

Or did i missunderstand the meaning of what you're suggesting? haha

no no, the quiz was in action before (around the time i joined back then) and it was to ensure that people actually read the faq tsugumo then wrote before posting. i think it was a nice feature that introduced newbies to the lingo and guidelines/etiquette, helping to avoid unnecessary redundant asking about basics and conventions (heh, the point of faqs i guess)
i think it would be nice to have something like that again

Offline Bisque

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 17, 2005, 06:59:43 pm

no no, the quiz was in action before (around the time i joined back then) and it was to ensure that people actually read the faq tsugumo then wrote before posting. i think it was a nice feature that introduced newbies to the lingo and guidelines/etiquette, helping to avoid unnecessary redundant asking about basics and conventions (heh, the point of faqs i guess)
i think it would be nice to have something like that again

ahh okay THAT would make sense x_x. I was scared for a minute lmao.

That must have been during one of the times I wasnt around haha x_o

Offline silvir

• AKA Noah Bradley
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #33 on: September 17, 2005, 09:33:43 pm
Pixelation mods are teh 0wnage.

Aaaanyways, on the topic of organization: I like just a few forums. Current setup works for me. But, for all those people that really like to be organized, we could try implementing a sort of "tagging" feature. Just think Flickr, del.icio.us, and whatnot. It's a thought.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: September 17, 2005, 11:28:41 pm
I don't think the current categories will suffice when the official pixel-arts boards go live. I really think we should create a seperate section for job opportunities, and I think the separation of animated and static images was a tremendously smart idea. Animations are plain harder to critique.

I think with static images after a while you learn to pick out the simpler things to comment on, such as AA, colour-choice, slight anatomical issue. Animations are a lot harder to comment on as simpler comments are harder to make because AA, colour-choice, and anatomy can take a backseat as you try to think of ways to improve the animations. Commenting on the effectiveness of keyframes, and making suggestions on how to recreate frames to better suggest movement can also be a much more time consuming process. All of these have lead in the past to animation postings falling quickly down the page, and failing to achieve the attention they deserve.

I think it might be worth separating the static image category into at least two categories. I noticed that in the old pixelation, posts in the static image section could move pretty far down the page in less than a day, which is why I suggest there be two categories for static images. I know that at one point there were serious and not-so serious categories to post art. How did they work out while they were in use?

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: September 18, 2005, 03:13:50 am
forced faq reading is good.  When I first signed up for pixelation, I read that sucker like, three times before posting.  But then again, it was my first forum ever (awwwww) so I was ever so careful to try not to make newbie mistakes.

I didn't see much of pixelation in its animated/static incarnation, so I don't know how well that worked.  I did, however, like the separation between serious and casual critiques in the old forum.  It felt right, at least for me.
rip ninjalicious

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #36 on: September 19, 2005, 02:18:10 am
I really liked the old quiz. Before I joined I had no idea what anything was. I was just I kid who liked sprites. Unfortunately, I think the quiz was decommissioned soon after my joinage, so I never really noticed whether or not it actually made a difference. But the 100 char limit...now that worked. Of course, sometimes along would come a newb or spammer or even someone who didn't speak much english who would just fill the space with ' 's or '_'s, but for the most part, it deterred those people, not to mention the mods excellent job of keeping things under control. Of course, the 100 chars did get annoying sometimes when I just had to praise a work...

Anyway, I really liked the old pixelation as it was just before the Great Fall, although I always wished for a personal user gallery akin to Pixeljoint or Pixelerate.

That's about it.

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #37 on: September 21, 2005, 01:43:08 am
hmm I never noticed any problems with the mods.  But I guess I may have already been pretty faded away from pixelation by whatever time that people are talking about.  And I'm not out to fight the system like a lot of artsy people seem to be.  Remember, this is an art form.  Art attracts crazy personalities.   ;)  And it flat out just doesn't matter what you do you can't please everyone.  I can't really make any suggestions on how things should be run, because with every idea I can see how it would piss some people off.  Like for me personally, I got bored with pixelation when people seemed to just stop caring.  You had a lot of people coming in who weren't very good at pixeling and/or didn't take it seriously, the boards seemed swamped with little doodads that looked like the person spent maybe 5 minutes on it.  I got tired of looking at lower quality work to put it bluntly.  Not that I think there should be a skill level requirement or anything.  Anything that bears the Pixelation name should be all about helping people become better pixelers, no matter what their skill level is.  The first incarnation of Pixelation was where I learned to pixel, I sucked, and I still suck, but I try and when I post something its not just for asspats.  But there were so many posters that would blow off critique with "yeah ok ill do that on my next piece"  or "thats just my style"  or whatever.  If you don't want to try new things and learn from others you shouldn't post in Pixelation IMHO.  Its not show and tell for asspats.  There were also lots of early WIPs and sketches and things.  No one wants to see that.  Put in the effort to get the thing somewhat finished.  You'll get nowhere fast being timid wanting someone to hold your hand all the way through.  Dive in, sweat, bleed, then post for critique.  Then do it all again.  As big as Pixelation became, it was just ridiculous to have these things being posted.  I think when a forum gets as big as Pixelation was, you have to start enforcing some sort of quality level.  Not based on skill, but effort.  Which is friggen hard to measure.  So there will always be disputes.  I'm actually amazed at how organized and high quality www.conceptart.org is.  I'm sure the mods over there have gotten into quarrels with people by policing those boards however they do.  They actually enforce skill level now for the main board though, which makes sense for them, but I think is out of place with Pixelation.  But whenever a community reaches a certain size, someone has to keep order somehow, and they cant be too elastic.  Of course many people would think my point of view is "fricken fascist maaan".  Thats just the way it goes.   :)

« Last Edit: September 21, 2005, 01:48:56 am by Locrian »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: September 21, 2005, 02:10:17 am
Several good points Locrian.

They actually enforce skill level now for the main board though, which makes sense for them, but I think is out of place with Pixelation.
I find it out of place to restrict people by skill level. I think it's most effective for a member to critique threads which they consider worthy of critique. It is better to let the individual judge this rather than enforce critique, which is absurd. Let your actions, specifically a good critique and a good effort on a work be your example. :)

Offline Benuel

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 26, 2005, 09:29:04 pm
Woah woah woah. Let's sort this out.

Pixelation = PERFECTION!

That is it final

Ok my keyboard just messed up I cant use the shift key and caps lock works back to front unfortunately so does the shift not working and i can only get <>< and not full stop

damn

still only pixelation has bruce as the banner

night all

|doagy keys