General > General Discussion

Pixelation Complaints

(1/8) > >>

Helm:

--- Quote from: AdamTierney on July 28, 2005, 08:39:21 am ---Among several others. I took issue with a lot of stuff going on at Pixelation. I always felt it was a terrific forum, particularly in that it was well-known enough to bring occasional visits from publishers and developers. Because of that it's also the reason I got my first paid pixel gig. But the moderating was downright juvenile at times, and usually overbearing. I guess I always kind of hoped for a forum with the renown of Pixelation, and the atmosphere of Pixeldev.
--- End quote ---

I am quite curious on what stuff you took issue with on Pixelation and I'd like you (and anyone else who feels the same way) to discuss these issues openly so we can hope for a better pixelation when it comes back online. I didn't want to potentially derail and also negatively charge the welcome thread, but it seems we have baggage that I do feel should be resolved. I personally never saw pixelation moderation go juvenile, although I can see the overbearing aspect, I guess. Morganne, you sals or whoever else felt pixelation had problems, be it with the mods or the attitude of the boards or anything else, this is be the place to constructively discuss them.

I note that I am not currently a pixelation moderator, just another pixelation user, so this isn't a 'mod trap' hehe or anything of the kind. As long as it's a civil discussion, anything goes. I can only hope we can resolve the issues that arise. Pixelation shouldn't just be a 'popular board' as you say, to score pay gigs, that's not it's function. Pixelation should be a place old-standing members like sals should feel welcome to, and maybe even at home in.

Evan:
Well, I think the one thing that turned me off to pixelation was it's overwhelming size.

At pixeldev, you could make a post about a new piece of art and get 3, maybe 4 meaningful replies.

At pixelation, you would either get absolutely no replies, or you would get like, 16 replies (most of which were "That's cool, is it for a game??")

So I'd like it if people were active with the report function, and there wasn't much tolerance for lots of spam. Maybe keep an eye on users who have an overwhelming balance of useless posts. If it gets too bad, give 'em a temporary ban.

Negative Gravity:
That sounds a bit harsh dont' you think, StairwaytoEvan? Although, I guess it's the only thing left to do to actually make people post useful and relavant posts or complete leave the community and never ever ever come back.

Rox:
Yeah, spamming at Pixelation wasn't bad at all, at least I don't found it bad. There was a bit problem going on with actual critique in the later ... stages, but I think that was just because of that enormous influx of newbies that appeared from nowhere. I know I was active about telling people off and trying to prevent unfitting comments, and from what I saw the other mods (and many regular members) did a good job with it as well.

Of course critique is very much encouraged, as that's what Pixelation was about, but I don't see a need for it to be constantly enforced.

Also, that theory that giving someone useful comments would encourage them to comment on your next piece... that really does work in a lot of cases.

Rydin:
I think that pixelation always had people who just just want to get there post counts up, and wouldn't take much time to actually appreciate the art. It started to become like a mainstream thing; "yeah, my friend's signed up, and so is the rest of the 'cool' kids from my school". Well, it was never that bad, but it seemed like people where joining just to say they did.  Also, there was a point when almost nobody thought the art had any imperfections, and would always say that the art was perfect, which is a complement, but provides no help to improve the artist's skills.

Another big thing about pixelation, which I think was its ultimate downfall, was the rants.  I think that when people start to challenge a society with opposing views, it can possibly work out for the good of the community. But seriously, its an art forum; instead of taking 30 minutes to type up a big opinion, why not just make some art expressing these views.

Also, a small thing I felt was a bad move was to make a bunch of different sections. In the old days there was serious and general critique, and that was it. I don't feel a board just for announcements or another board just for off topic threads was really necessary.
I believe that do to the combination of ranting and 'gizmos' on the site, pixelation started to lose quality  content, and considering that a forum is based on content, it was probably not a positive thing for pixelation.

Now, I must get back to pixeling :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version