AuthorTopic: Stan's Dump Of Many Things Which Need Crits  (Read 23145 times)

Offline heyy13

• View Profile

Re: Stan's Dump Of Many Things Which Need Crits

Reply #40 on: May 13, 2007, 07:53:52 am
Thats awsome, a definate improvement from your starting block. One thing of note however, is that the crack at the top top top on the big peice looks rather out of place and unnatural. But you can ignore me as i have my own rock problems. Three thumbs up. :y:

EDIT: This crack it just seems verry awkward. *shrugs* Just ignore me.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:29:32 am by heyy13 »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: May 13, 2007, 08:07:29 am
Like seriously, it's 4:00AM if you're going to point out crack and rock slab issues. I really need specifics cause there's about 10 + cracks and several ( obviously ) differently positioned rocks and I'm half sleep. So I'm off into the world of dreams and illusions! Later.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 13, 2007, 04:10:24 pm
when i tihnk hue-shifting, i think more something like this:

i mean, it doesnt need to be that pronounced, but there's little point to it if it isnt even visible imo.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 13, 2007, 06:16:46 pm
Hey: Ah that crack. I thought one brought a bit more detail to a large slab I had nothing to really put on it detail wise and just lacked SOMETHING. So I figured why not throw a gigantic crack on the face of it to almost seperate it. Gives it some character I think.

Adarias: Wow. That is amazing!  :'( I've been trying to throw some different hue colors on there that have contrast but still make it look good. I thought purple would be the best bet as it's often it's own shadow but..oh well.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 13, 2007, 06:50:03 pm
quick edit:

Colours are heavily inspired by adarias' edit ;)

What I basically wanted to show with this edit is even though your cracks aren't supposed to be all smoth, you still can add some AA and clean the lines a bit to make it look better. I had a quick go over the whole piece, so I left some parts out but I guess you can see what I mean

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:05 am
Argh, this must be the 100th time I've tried spriting yet, but it's a well used thing in pixeling world, and something I'd like to master. I figured starting of small with little rpg sprites would be my best bet as a beginner. I just can't get the hang of it. So after reading a tutorial for rpg sprites and a few others on SpriteArt.com. I've come to this dreaded thing.

Do what you will verbally with it. Would be greatly appreciated.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #46 on: May 15, 2007, 04:04:02 pm
lighting!!  add some.  Everything you learned doing the rocks should be applied here - people are made up of planes and curves just like stones are!

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 15, 2007, 05:31:02 pm
Currently at school, but I understand what you're saying adam. It just seems difficult to fit shading and detail into such a small piece. I'm really unhappy with the outline is general, it just seems sloppy.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: May 15, 2007, 06:53:23 pm
Currently at school, but I understand what you're saying adam. It just seems difficult to fit shading and detail into such a small piece. I'm really unhappy with the outline is general, it just seems sloppy.

By many standards, your canvas is gross in size and space wasted.  Remember that you only need about 4 pixels to have an object with shading, and that includes an outline.

As far as your outline, you hit the nail right on the head.  It's sloppy.  I would stick, if i were you, to more blocky forms, since these tend to pixel better in tighter spaces, and try to go about the character with a bit of style.  Hes so rigid!.  As far as specifics, id say change the shape of the head to be less of an oval and include ears, and i would raise the wait quite a bit since the short legs aren't really helping you much, lower the eyes so that he isnt so straight-on, and drop the shoulders so that he has at least the illusion of a neck.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: May 15, 2007, 07:09:41 pm

Come save with updates!

Adarias: I believe I addressed the neck, and ear issue. But the balance and ( I believe ) stiffness is still bothering me somewhat.

E: Feel a bit more easy about the balance now, moved the entire waist one pixel to the right.

E: I've got to stop.  :D

Now, I believe I've really addressed the stiffness issue Adarias was talking about earlier.

E: I promise I'll stop massive updating!  :'(

E: Face remake of sorts, gave the hair an outline, but the body is suffering some. So I shall rework that as well!

E: Completion I believe!

E: Grah, moved the head to the right one pixel to even it out some and make the view less odd.

E: Small update: Moved the waistline up some to make it a bit more in proportions.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:42:36 pm by madartiststan »