AuthorTopic: My first human sprite after 4 years of spritin'  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

My first human sprite after 4 years of spritin'

on: May 03, 2007, 01:06:35 am

Yes, sadly after all my years of doing this I've finally decided to make a human, and I think that with the help of you guys, I can get it almost perfect!

This is my May project, hopefully I'll continue doing human features and bodies to improve.

At the moment it is quite rough, I've tried to take anatomy in case, but I always can see improvements.

Now, one of my major complaints to myself is that I should be doing bigger arts that aren't just scanned and traced over.

So, I wanna start off small, maybe make some walk cycles and such(never done any of those majorly) then work my way up.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: My first human sprite after 4 years of spritin'

Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:59:30 am
these are all good decisions  :y:
in relation to always seeing improvements, this is great news, because part of the battle for improving is first finding what there is to improve!
And if you know what is wrong, you know what it is you need to experiment with to see what works!

as to the art itself, if you are trying to get an accurate image of a human, then I would say that first off, the head is rather large compared to the body. So now that you know something which may be wrong, this is where you can do some research and find out how large a head is compared to something else such as the body, or shoulders, etc.
of course, whether you want to increase the size of the body, or decrease the size of the head is up to you. Though, decreasing the size of the head will make it more dificult to include facial details if you wanted to work on those.

Good luck!

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 12:04:37 pm
Thanks for the encouragement Alex, appreciate it!  :)

Now, I decided to make the body bigger as I sort of like the head shape.

But when making the torso, I found that one was too thin and the other just not right.
I take it the thin one could be made into my first female, the thicker to a male?

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 05:27:10 am

Coloured it in and such. Also added a small little creature pointing.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 11:17:30 am
I made a quickie edit, all I did was paint over the old sprite and tried to show depth and lighting; the skin had it, but the clothes didn't.

I ditched the pattern on the clothes for something more simple; i'd suggest saving that for last so it can follow the lights rather become the lights. (dunno if that last part made any sense or not, but yeah)

I also straightened out the legs, they seemed bent oddly, and I don't think you should worry about toes at this size, readability > details in most cases

Offline Saxamaphone

• wut
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 07:02:33 am

I think I see what you mean, but I guess I should add some more colours then to get it all in.