AuthorTopic: first sprite(s).. help needed ;D  (Read 3919 times)

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

first sprite(s).. help needed ;D

on: May 02, 2007, 12:00:00 pm
Hi,
After a bit more than one month of training I decided to give a go at what I would really like to be able to do.. sprites..
I find this soOoooo difficult.. and obviously I need a lot of practice,  :crazy:

I decided to give a go to Adam's pixeling test ,
so before criticizing the sprite below, please have a look at it first..

any help, edit or whatever will be greatly appreciated  :)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 12:01:36 pm by kakikukeko »

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Re: first sprite(s).. help needed ;D

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 01:15:00 pm
Hi Kaki :D

This is a very nice sprite, especially for a first. The character is quite recognisable and the sprite is fairly readable.

I did an edit to show how perhaps it could be improved. Don't necessarily take my word for it, I'm learning too. ;P

I think in a small sprite, contrast is key. Large areas of contrasting colours with small amounts of aa, instead of buffer shades increases the form's readability.

I think you could incorporate some different hues into other ramps for aa purposes, like the middle blue for aa between the green shades. Just things like that. Yeah. ;P

Also, was your posting at exactly 10PM (Sydney time) intentional?

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:12:29 am
Thx for comment Presley,
 about the different colors to AA (like you did with the blue on the trousers) I actually thought about it and didn't do it on purpose..

I' m actually a bit confused about it..
it's something I learnt here mainly from Helm, to use different colors and use them to AA.. but for a sprite, I was wondering if it's a good idea, as it seems sometimes, you can change the palette to create new colors for a nw sprite.. then what happen to the trousers if you decide to make its shirt pink.. ?

about the changes of light on the pant, I like how you did it, but it lost the appearance  of the ref  imo(the folds).. Also I feel the back leg is now his left one.. (the opposite of what I did )

and about the highlight on the stick.. I was really tempted to do it and didn't because 1:, on the ref, it doesn't seem shiny, 2: I 'm afraid it add a detail that could be understood like a gem or something.. 3: in animation, I was afraid it would be a swinging dot that would distract...

I like how you did the head tho, especially the beard..
I found the 'eyes' pretty difficult to do as I don't really understand them on the ref.. I think you did a good job on this part..

now I 'm far from saying that I'm right on everything..  :) cause seriously, I'm not that happy of the result.. even tho most of what I did is done after thought..
(except for the arms I think they are too long now  :crazy: , and a pixel on the front shoe that doesn't seem right  ;D )

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:30:56 am by kakikukeko »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:48:47 am
I think you've done a good job of capturing the likeness.  :y:
If I were you though I'd try to bring in some more black, to make it resemble the original art style a wee bit more.

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:47 am
Thx for comment Presley,
 about the different colors to AA (like you did with the blue on the trousers) I actually thought about it and didn't do it on purpose..

I' m actually a bit confused about it..
it's something I learnt here mainly from Helm, to use different colors and use them to AA.. but for a sprite, I was wondering if it's a good idea, as it seems sometimes, you can change the palette to create new colors for a nw sprite.. then what happen to the trousers if you decide to make its shirt pink.. ?

about the changes of light on the pant, I like how you did it, but it lost the appearance  of the ref  imo(the folds).. Also I feel the back leg is now his left one.. (the opposite of what I did )

and about the highlight on the stick.. I was really tempted to do it and didn't because 1:, on the ref, it doesn't seem shiny, 2: I 'm afraid it add a detail that could be understood like a gem or something.. 3: in animation, I was afraid it would be a swinging dot that would distract...

I like how you did the head tho, especially the beard..
I found the 'eyes' pretty difficult to do as I don't really understand them on the ref.. I think you did a good job on this part..

now I 'm far from saying that I'm right on everything..  :) cause seriously, I'm not that happy of the result.. even tho most of what I did is done after thought..
(except for the arms I think they are too long now  :crazy: , and a pixel on the front shoe that doesn't seem right  ;D )

I thought the leg was the closest leg, sorry. I think Junkboy fixed that readability problem in his edit though :D I don't like the pants at all in my edit, I was just trying to make them more readable only ;P

I'm still a newbie so it's cool if you call nay on something I edited, this applies to anyone I suppose.

Thanks.

Junkboy, those pants are sweet.  :y:

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:51:35 am
thx to you Presley  :)

Junkboy, I've been watching your edit for a long time and i can't see anything wrong... :y:
everything you changed is better!
I don't know why I didn't think of using more black...! :ouch:
thanks a lot  :)