AuthorTopic: Last Ninja 2  (Read 7773 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Last Ninja 2

on: May 02, 2007, 08:57:11 am
A GBA remake mock up, made just for fun, since all the cool kids seem to be doing it!
I made this mainly because it was a great excuse to pixel some polka-striped marquees.

I think there's about a bazilion colors in it if anyone is curious. Didn't really keep count.

Also, here's a dancing cowboy.

Sorry about the 2x.  :(

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Re: Last Ninja 2

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:32:37 am
hahaha.. insanly nicely done... I wuw!@

The design on the Ninja is awesome.. But the colors, they are a bit too bright for my taste.
Do the policemen have a baton in each hand? or do they toss it over to their right/left hand in a split pikosecond whenever they turn?  :lol:
I would definatly want to play that game tho :D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 11:03:19 am by Elrinth »
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 09:51:58 am

129 colours.

Really cool scene, but a judicious application of AA would really help this piece out.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 06:33:51 pm
junkboy this ROCKS.  the only thing that's not working for me is the taxi stripe - maybe build the checkerboard out of larger squares?

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 08:16:21 pm
A GBA remake mock up, made just for fun, since all the cool kids seem to be doing it!
I made this mainly because it was a great excuse to pixel some polka-striped marquees.

I think there's about a bazilion colors in it if anyone is curious. Didn't really keep count.

Also, here's a dancing cowboy.

Sorry about the 2x.  :(

The "screenshot" looks quite great. Eeverything is so consistent, that, had you not said it is a mockup, I would have not know.

While AA might help a bit, as it is, it wouldn't make that big of an improvement, IMHO.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:00:14 am
the lack of AA is 50% of the appeal of this for me. Adding AA in at this point would probably look cheap. and like I said, I like the way the hard edges look

The shadow on your ninja and the nearby street light post seem to be going in the wrong direction

I don't know if its correct. but those manhole circles nad tables seem off. I'm gonna try skewing some circles and see if I get the same results.

Oh, and love the carlton dance(don't know what the acutal name is). A year or two back I thought about making an animation like that so seeing yours made my day. Is he the guy from the new Earthbound?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUYQVXPv27k

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 02:36:11 am
My eyes just died and vomited. In that order. They died from the awesome and vomited tears from the joy they experienced. And awoke once more to bathe in the joy of this magnificence. This magnificence that is...
Junkboy.

the lack of AA is 50% of the appeal of this for me. Adding AA in at this point would probably look cheap. and like I said, I like the way the hard edges look
Yessss.

the only thing that's not working for me is the taxi stripe - maybe build the checkerboard out of larger squares?
Yessss.

Oh, and love the carlton dance(don't know what the acutal name is).
Yessss.

I'm sorry for this being such a useless post, but I guess I hardly consider encouragement useless. I encourage you to make either
A) more
or
B) a game.
I suggest the latter.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 02:53:21 am
That's not the Carlton Dance! :P He has his own dance, that's the tick-tock! Though it was done on the show too.

As for the ninja piece, I love it. The crispness works nice, though personally I'm not too fond of the character shadows. They stand out way too much, I think simple shadows would look a lot more appealing.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 04:33:50 am
yeah, or even just lighten the shadows to match the shadows from the buildings.  Doesn't make sense for people to cast darker shadows than concrete and brick structures :P

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 06:49:46 am
to add to the nitpicking, I would say the taxi right and left curve don't look the same  :P
but man.. I love this! :y: