AuthorTopic: The Colored Line Art thread (Doodles also Allowed!)  (Read 273212 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: The Colored Line Art thread (Doodles also Allowed!)

Reply #350 on: March 05, 2009, 08:19:03 pm

What happens when I get bored at work...

That UI is a mess btw. I am redoing pretty much all of it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:27:27 pm by Doppleganger »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #351 on: March 08, 2009, 12:05:16 pm
Atnas, I really like your dithering style on the lizardman pic, and it fits very well with the color choice too.
Is this theme of disconcerting boobs going to continue? I approve :)

The usual denizens of my mind, with some not so usual. 5 ZILLION WAYS TO RENDER GRASS WITH CPC PALETTE. Also, with a 5x5x5 color cube used where  I couldn't manage CPC palette usage (getting skin tones in CPC palette == HARD). In other news, commentary in Lojban, strange shrubbery, and some guy who looks like he'd do rather well animated. A noticeable lack of dual lightsources, which is one of the tricks to really good looking CPC gfx.

And as always, new technology. Such is the way of the me.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #352 on: March 17, 2009, 05:32:33 pm
I like your cpc doodles, AI. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on how to utilize that palette. I take one look at that 5x5x5 box you've got, and... well actually I was gonna say that it's a confusing mass of neon colors, but zoomed in it looks pretty versatile. For the longest time, palettes set up that way intimidated me. Maybe I should try doing some of that nature myself. I've still never really made any graphics based on older systems.

This is how it ended up. The portrait is still jacked up imo, but it's mostly the hair and that will change.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #353 on: March 17, 2009, 06:07:04 pm
The map and gui look ace, but that portrait is all kinds of messed up. I suggest you keep the jacket and redo the rest. You've probably grown blind to the deformation from looking at it too much.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #354 on: March 17, 2009, 08:20:11 pm
Thanks, and yeah, you're right. The hair I feel is what's doing the worst damage, but I'll try and employ some critique to improve it all. I don't necessarily feel 100% about any specific aspect.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #355 on: March 17, 2009, 09:18:12 pm
I like the nudes, Ai. The widepixels do something really nice for the curves. Pine tree is pretty rocking, too.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #356 on: March 20, 2009, 04:23:33 am
I like the nudes, Ai. The widepixels do something really nice for the curves. Pine tree is pretty rocking, too.
Thanks!! That's actually the reason I started the picture, because I was sure that the inherent cuteness imparted by widepixels would play nicely with drawings of nude women :)
The pine tree demonstrates well the argument of the past few weeks re: treatment of method vs result on PJ; it was sketched with a largish brush randomly rotated (using GIMP's new brush rotation dynamics settings), which established the overall aesthetic excellently well. Lots of touch up required since pixel clustering was often a little clumsy, I still reckon I saved a lot of time agonizing by using a clumsier, aesthetically consistent tool to start with.

Quote from: Doppleganger
I like your cpc doodles, AI. You seem to have a pretty good grasp on how to utilize that palette. I take one look at that 5x5x5 box you've got, and... well actually I was gonna say that it's a confusing mass of neon colors, but zoomed in it looks pretty versatile. For the longest time, palettes set up that way intimidated me. Maybe I should try doing some of that nature myself. I've still never really made any graphics based on older systems.
The 5x5x5 is pretty much my favorite colorcube. the 3x3x3 CPC one forces you to become a good dramatist, so to speak, and the 5x5x5 one still requires dramatization/exaggeration, but you can usually get roughly any isolated color you wanted without having an excess of choice, so it might be more approachable . Another thing that's nice about really small cubes like CPC is that it makes it very profitable to use plenty of black, so the resultant graphics get people to use their imagination more.

Re: your more recent mockup:
I like the character/unit style, and the various styles you've used for different types of graphic mesh well.. except for the character portrait (maybe this is just because of her hair sharing most of the interface colors. Might have a little more pop-outness if only say, the highlights shared the UI colors)

Re: your older mockup:
Again, I really like the style (reminds me a little of Earthbound, actually).
I think if you stacked a mirrored L:
Code: [Select]
.*
of dark pink pixels on top of the existing short row
Code: [Select]
on the bottom left of her hair, it would emphasize the shape of her hair and provide an interesting 'echo' vs the shape of her hat.

[remainder of post reserved for whatever image I post next -- in this thread, I think it's good to have every post with some item.]
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #357 on: April 05, 2009, 08:00:58 pm
Something I won't finish :

And a study of Panda's style :

Offline Rachae

• View Profile

Reply #358 on: April 26, 2009, 07:15:40 am
Starting small...Starting simple...No need to rush, I won't be near as good as everyone in two seconds...

Starting very very small!

Original:
Mine:

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #359 on: April 27, 2009, 04:30:32 am
self censorship
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 12:06:32 pm by Cow »