AuthorTopic: General skill building with pixel art?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

General skill building with pixel art?

on: May 01, 2007, 06:03:10 pm
I'm brand new to pixel art. I'm enjoying it a lot, and researching a lot, but I'm still having a hard time wrapping my mind around those itty bitty details such as texturing. How could the artist's for ff6 know that this pixel, next to this pixel, create just the perfect line and color to create something that looks like an oil painting? Pixel art boggles my mind in a wonderful way, it reminds me a lot of expressionist art actually.

Ack, I'm babling. The point is, I was wandering if anyone knew some things I could do to practice texturing beyond just trial and error. Any techniques, or ways to study it?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: General skill building with pixel art?

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:10:20 am
much of it comes from the fact that most good pixel artists are even better tradies.

a good way to learn how to texture is to start with the basics - 2 color works focussing on nothing but how the object "feels".

All study is trial and error :P, A technique that suits someone else may not be you at all.  You dont have to revolutionize the world with every dot, but you need to do what feels right and youll only find that by discovering first many things which feel wrong.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 02:29:34 am
much of it comes from the fact that most good pixel artists are even better tradies.

a good way to learn how to texture is to start with the basics - 2 color works focussing on nothing but how the object "feels".

All study is trial and error :P, A technique that suits someone else may not be you at all.  You dont have to revolutionize the world with every dot, but you need to do what feels right and youll only find that by discovering first many things which feel wrong.

Hmm...

but you need to do what feels right and youll only find that by discovering first many things which feel wrong.

::Writes quote down into his "book of awesome life quotes" book.::

Wow thanks. It is fun trial and error though, something about pixel art, the entire thing is subtlety. It glorifies subtlety.

eh, anyway I'll keep posting my little pixl arty things here as I learn what I'm doing.

Gotta say though, it's fun trial and error.

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:35:44 am
First off, I'm glad you are enjoying pixel art. I've just really started to pixel myself and am enjoying quite alot myself. I on the other hand, have been handdrawing for years. Some people believe that gives you a small advantage whereas I believe it isn't really advantageous as opposed to not having any prior experienced in any art mediums.

But that's beside the point. Pixeling is good, Tiles are fun, Spriting is hell! :) Good luck!

Offline Nevon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 10:32:38 pm
I am also very very new to all of this, and I must say that the part that I find most difficult is creating the actual outlines for the sprites. Once you've got the outline and a picture in your head, it's not so damn hard. I think that's where it's an advantage to be good at hand drawing, since it gives you some idea of proportions etc. I barely passed art class, so I'm really having a tough time with that damn lineart :P