AuthorTopic: First Pixelation! (Updated no.2)[WIP]  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

First Pixelation! (Updated no.2)[WIP]

on: April 28, 2007, 06:42:24 am
Alright, first off let me introduce myself. My alias is Jelly_Donut, chosen for the simple fact that jelly_donut's are very yummy.

I am an animation major, working in 3d here in north carolina, USA. I have always admired pixel art, and recently have decided to go ahead and learn how to create pixel art. This is my first go around, which is obviously not done. It's a floating rock golem of sorts I guess.

I thought some dithering would be a good way to make him look rocky but... I'm not sure, I want to add details like cracks and such. Only thing is, I'm having some problem donig that given the size (I'm used to being told to work huge...) I was wondering for more detail in this guy, do I need to go larger, or do I need to learn some techniques?

This really is my best shot so far... and I know there are a lot of problems with him, I can't seem to figure out how to push him to a proffesional level.

So I'm very thankful for any help given.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 04:39:58 pm by Jelly_Donut »

Offline candiru

• View Profile

Re: First Pixelation! [WIP]

Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:07:24 am
Does it have a body?

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 03:09:34 pm
No, it's just kind of a floating head right now

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 04:12:28 pm
Okay, so I thought I might fare better if he was larger. I figured at this size, dithering wasn't really a good shading technique. I believe this is about 7 colors, there is the black outline, two colors for the light highlight (one being the AA color) , two being the darker shaded color, and then the main color, as well as two colors for the yellow eyes.

Do I need to limit my colors more?

Obviously this is far from done, I need to add texture and all that, I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm trying to study some pixel art to figure out how they got a nice rocky texture... I really need advice, and help so if anyone has anything to offer  ;D

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Re: First Pixelation! (Updated)[WIP]

Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 04:38:24 pm
Okay, now I've tried applying some texture, not much but some... I think it's moving in the right direction, but it still doesn't have that proffesional quality I'm looking for... at all.

So still need some crits and help

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Re: First Pixelation! (Updated no.2)[WIP]

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 09:20:54 pm
sigh... it's been three days, and I've put a lot of effort into it and nobody is replying. Anyone know some techniques for texturing at all? anyone have a general opinion at all?

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 02:36:48 am
   It's fairly simple, not really a lot to comment on.  However, it would look better if you got rid of the black outlines.  Use a dark brown where the line is in the shadowy areas, then use something a bit lighter where the line is close to the lighter areas.  Hope that made sense.

Also, it helps to have a little color variation, even in something that only has a single color (other than the eyes).  Maybe add a little red to the darker browns, some orange/yellow to the lighter browns.  That might liven it up a little.  In real life objects get some color from their surroundings, so objects aren't usually just one color.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 05:11:29 am

here is an edit it looks pretty disgusting and wasn't that good of an example but...
You should really define the shape/form more with your colours. You have kind of slapped on the highlights and shadows. Heres an old edit i did of one of tomsters pieces. See how the shape is really strongly shown through lighting.

I would say yours could be ok, if you were planning on dropping a texture on it, as the lighting would be distorted a fair bit. Hence my edit. I will comment more when i get the chance but for now i have to go sorry. will edit later
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Jelly_Donut

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 03:14:14 pm
Zeid, thank you so much! That's exactly what I was looking for. You have given me more than enough to play around with, and to study. When zooming in, I think I can see some ways to change and get more of the result I was looking for, and I also see some ways that maybe I can apply the same method to maybe water, or even cloth. Thanks for the effort.

And I see what your talking about with defining light sources better.

Thanks again, I will be back with better results ^_^