AuthorTopic: Open up ;O + portrait ;@  (Read 9385 times)

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Re: Open up ;O

Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 08:52:30 am
Edited again, kinda hard doing this in five minutes spurts through out the day. Gets confusing.

Edit: Candiru, I find it hard to draw examples of improvements from your edit, because my attention is too diverted by some flaws in the edit. D:

Here's my hand @_@ Perhaps I have strange finger to thumb proportions. The angle is different and it becomes evident that some anatomy is wrong in my artwork, but I'm not going for 100% realism, I just want it to look like a realistic looking hand.

Sorry for the large image 56kers :(
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:20:00 am by Presley »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 09:26:50 am
if your're supposed to be knocking on a door your fist would be more clenched, as in candiru edits.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 09:45:52 am
if your're supposed to be knocking on a door your fist would be more clenched, as in candiru edits.

Not really, I often knock lightly... imagine bare knuckle boxing vs. "pro wrestling", pro wrestlers aren't allowed to have closed fists... that's more or less how I knock... o.O
heh

More or less what I'm trying to say is it depends on the person, some people will clench their fist more than others.

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 10:09:46 am

Feron, it all depends on which set of joints in your fingers that you knock with. I knock with those closest to the tips of my fingers, so I think the pose is valid. @_@

Edit: I didn't think the form was reading too well, save the fingers and the thumb, so I tried to fix that. Still very much wip in those areas.

An Improvement?

I suck at shading large areas D:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:40:50 am by Presley »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 11:19:35 am
I just wanna join in on the how-I-knock thing. There is certainly much variety in the field of knocking. Me, I've always done it with the back of my hand, like this.

Now, regarding the shading on yours, Presley. I think your latest post is a step down from the last edit in your first post.. wow, confusing. You really ought to get a better reference on the anatomy of ones hand. I mean, you've got that photo there, but it hasn't got the best lighting... I'd suggest you take a new reference photo in a better lit area and study it more, then come back to this.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 01:05:28 pm

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 01:37:45 pm
Rox, I totally agree with you. I guess I had been looking at it for too long.  :D

Feron, strange how there can be so many different variations on such a basic task. ;P

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 03:05:03 pm
Feron, strange how there can be so many different variations on such a basic task. ;P

It's actually a good thing to think about when you're building a character in my opinion.
Not really how they knock. :P But to think of the small things that everyone does differently, even things that may not be totally noticeable.
Individuality. :)

Sorry to slightly derail your thread.

I like this one so far:

But it seems theres a tad too much uh, fat... on the lower section of the thumb.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 07:18:04 pm
As far as references go, why not just do some adjustments on your photo and use that as a reference?

It looks pretty good so far. As with Snippa I prefer the second last one most. Just keep working at it and use your reference strongly and I'm sure it'll turn out great. Some dither (if the shades are close enough) might help with smoother transitions but only worry about this once your volumes are blocked out and you're detailing.

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 07:46:11 pm
Well, that's a sexy forearm, wrist and hand :D

Thanks for that, when I some prolonged free time I'll get to work.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 07:47:45 pm by Presley »