AuthorTopic: Tanuki (WIP)  (Read 9543 times)

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Tanuki (WIP)

on: October 22, 2005, 11:59:13 pm
This is based off of a Tanuki that Frank Jaeger created. I started it a long time ago, and it's been in the works for... ugh... months. I did it entirely within MSPaint, and vowed that I won't work on it again until I've learned how to use a different art program. I have ProMotion now and plan on using that to finish the picture. Unfortunately, I've had a busy schedule, so I'm going to have to put this off for a while... again.

The bowl is nowhere near done and I'll probably kill off what shading I've done until I work on the background and the foreground so I know what should be reflected. I need to make the casted shadows on the prawn a little less crappy, and the noodles in the bowl (on our right) a little more full.

I'll also include a "making of" gif when I finally finish this.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 12:29:20 am by Monsoon2D »

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile

Re: Tanuki (WIP)

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 04:24:43 am
damn, I don't know how you do it.  this is amazing.  I'd have given up long ago if I only used paint.  You'll be happy with promotion, for sure.

Also, this could stand pretty darn well on its own, without a background; having one is just icing on the cake.
rip ninjalicious

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:44:16 am
holy crap! I really couldn't offer any info as to how to make this better. It's complete in my eyes! Maybe some chopsticks?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 09:26:01 am
Wow, looking really smooth and great.
My only crit (on the stuff that you apparently finished) is the texture of the fried "core" of that ebi-fry thing, seems a bit overdone, and looks like full of scales, rather than fried stuff.
But other than that, coming great, and looking forward to see it finished.
Keep rocking

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 09:53:37 am
hah, that's too cool and, uhm, huge

i do have a small advice though: the texture of the prawns crust, it doesn't work too well for me. it's got this mosaic thing going that makes it look a tad flat. i think making less defined intersections would help that a lot, having the small grainy stuff merge a little closer to the center of the current shade using the area where it's bordering the next shade more to define the surface. a custom texture-dither sort of, if that makes sense at all

anyways, try not to go insane doing the background :)

*argh, panda stole my thoughts, but i'll hit post now anyway

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 02:47:22 pm
Cool. Thanks for that. I had my doubts on the prawn as it looked more like your typical "american-style" batter, and not so much tempura. I'll make sure to adjust that in the final version.

Oh, and chopsticks poking out of the bowl is a must.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 02:49:26 pm by Monsoon2D »

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 08:25:02 pm
Yes, chopsticks would look awesome. Decorated chopsticks, since your so good at everything. I can't crit on anything...nothing at all...
I.....am......me............

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 07:28:13 pm
I like this moonsoon
there are no cirts , im not sure of the red plate shading
but overall very nice work

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 08:31:03 pm
Meh, I've seen better...

ok, that was a joke, please don't strike me down, oh mighty pixel God.

I've always been a fan of your great dithering and AA skills. To this day you remain one of the few artists whose dithering I actually like to look at from a 2-3x zoom. I'm not entirely sure how, but somehow your colour choices, contrast levels, AA, line design, dithering  and a bunch of other stuff come together in this way that makes your pieces smooth and texturious(a word?), while avoiding the typical grit and yuckiness one notices in most dithered pieces.

The others have all raised some good points on what could be improved so I won't bother repeating anything. I'm just going to continue staring and studying this.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005, 02:52:36 am

There's the original so people can see the humble start.

As for my critiques, I've already given them to you as has the board.