AuthorTopic: Alien  (Read 15187 times)

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Alien

on: April 27, 2007, 08:22:52 am

need some critique I think as I'm fairly happy with this so far but which palette would you guys would recommend, I'm leaning towards the first one at the moment but i want it to be aesthetically pleasing to everyone not just me. I think the leg might be a bit long before the knee are there any other anatomy problems, and should i bother fixing this or is it not too drastic? I sort of want slightly odd anatomy as it's not human but I'm not sure if something like that would impede movement.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Re: Alien

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 08:42:13 am
sorta reminded me a bit of super metroid... not sure why...
all of them, with the exception of the first, appear to look a bit metalic, was this what you were aiming for?
If not, I'd have to say the first one. If you were going for a metalic look on the otherhand, i'd say I like the blue ones.

The leg does look a bit odd, though I'm not the person to ask whether it would impede movement. I think alot of it has to do with your imagination and if you can animate it without it looking too awkward.

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 09:02:42 am
Yeh i think my main problem with the other colours is they look too metallic. The reason it reminds you of metroid is probably due to the space pirates  :yell: completely unintentional likeness. Originally my creature wasn't going to have bladed arms like this but i changed my mind last minute.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 09:22:38 am
mm, after comparing...

not so much
Maybe it was the arms, I'm not sure.

(that took a bit of looking to find those images...)

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 10:25:47 am
Me like more light blue color sheme.
Yes, it's some metallic but it's not horrible, in my opinion ))
About his body I am have some little changes:

Maybe more agressive pose? His arms is too straight for this pose and have a some swords (if I not wrong) - maybe do his metalic more? And legs maybe use something like a satyr. And his head more down and eyes more tiny and ominous. Than you will have a menacing creature )) Good luck!

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 04:54:29 am
I took on some aspects of your edit, but tried not to deviate from my original character design to much. I really wanted this alien to look insect like, hence i didn't adopt the muscular look and decided on the greens as oppose to the heavy metallic look. The relaxed pose being the main thing, I adjusted the legs to be longer and portray more 'bounce' like your satyr like legs presented. I might adjust the head a bit later but not as drastically as yours has. Thanks everyone for their help so far.
>>>

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 05:04:55 pm
New alien, he is meant to take a sort of Egyptian god look hence he looks a bit like Horus... with a Katana. This one is using the rather popular silver palette, So far each character uses 7 colours plus 1 for transparency, I'm not sure if I should add more to the palette or leave it and allow the single colours to distinguish characters more easily.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 05:13:38 pm
Maybe I'm just too tired, but I think on the new one you may want to work on the lighting on the head a bit, at first I wasn't sure what I was looking at until I zoomed in a bit.
*shrug*

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 05:37:04 pm
ok quick edit on the head, i think it might of been a tad disjointed this is quite minor, but i think it might look better.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 05:48:05 pm
I may have just ruined it, but the head still looked pretty flat IMHO. so I took a crack at shading it. hope you don't mind me editing it.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 10:47:23 am by 1up »