AuthorTopic: [Feedback] Ramp/Palette help please  (Read 3216 times)

Offline TallmanClay

• View Profile

[Feedback] Ramp/Palette help please

on: October 13, 2019, 10:00:04 pm
I'm new to pixel art and don't know if I'm understanding the idea of ramps yet. I've read about hue shifting, changing value, etc. I just don't understand how many ramps to use in a piece? Like when do you start over with two separate hues that have the same value. Or something like that.

Here are two characters I've done. They're meant to be animated later. My question is about the palette, but all critique is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline BlueCrystalStudio

• View Profile

Re: [Feedback] Ramp/Palette help please

Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 02:14:02 pm
They seems too dark to me :/ Maybe pick brighter colors for lighted spots and see how it goes.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 04:06:58 pm
They are a little dark, what background colour are you using when you pixel? It affects your sense of contrast. A mid grey is a good general bg colour, or if you already know the background colours of the scenes the sprite will appear in, even better use them!

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 05:19:48 am
Hmmm, I have to Disagree with the latter. Me thinks the Colors you chose were your style. And I love it. The only thing I would change is maybe dithering them a tad to spice them up for example here

All and All very Exceptional work, I dig the style my Man. Aye I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:34:04 pm by Mistajaye »

Offline TallmanClay

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 04:37:59 am
Whoops, sorry this is super late. Didn't realize this went up. Thanks so much for the advice guys.

Like this? I use 50% gray.

Thanks, I'll try dithering. And yes, I do really prefer dark colors. Don't really have a grasp on how to execute them in pixels yet though.

Offline loni_art

• bwaha
    • loni_art
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/48336.htm
    • loni-art
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 02:54:44 am
i think a big reason they look dark is because they use pure grays, giving the overall piece an overcast feel, this is how it looks like when i level those grays to something close to white

i also had made an edit to clean up stuff, and better use the colors, but i accidentally overwrote it  :blind:
repeat on repeat