AuthorTopic: First pixel art works  (Read 3376 times)

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

First pixel art works

on: April 22, 2007, 09:44:44 pm
Hello everyone,

Not long ago I have ventured into the fantastic ways of the pixel, and my experiences so far have been exciting.

I have a basic background on fine arts, however, due to the cruel fate, I have not expertised such area, in favor of the evil black boxes called computers. As  means of providing myself of getting back into what I enjoy the most (darwing and painting), I decided to continue my excercises (ha!) through pixel arts.

Due to of a lack of time and obsession with Arcanum (damn game), I haven't managed to do as much as I would want to, but I decided to showcase it, and get as much constructive criticism. Please note that while I really apreciate it, it doesn't mean that I will inmediately apply it; this is because my short attention span, but I always try to work all the criticism in further pieces. I do try to improve my sketches anyway, so don't hesitate!

Anyway, here is some of my work (from older to newer):

My very first attempts, used a forum icons (I really had no idea what was I doing)

Emoticons template, intended to have a style remniscient of earthbound, on the wc3 universe. Failed miserably, IMO.

Dabbling with animation, and trying to do a better looking skull. Haowan from the TIGForums gave me some tips on it, hopefully I will get more.

Portraits (I still have to do hair, but I'd like some comments on the current shapes before going any further with them, like in the last still on the first pic)

And as a bonus, a horrible old console style animation I didn't bother to time properly, limited edition! For free!

(sheet)

Apologizes for my piss poor english grammar.

EDIT: Whoops, posted an old version of one of my portraits. Should be fixed now
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:08:40 pm by Alevice »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Re: First pixel art works

Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 12:39:48 am
I really like the skulls/helm thing. The faces are pretty interesting. Very good for first pixels, I wish I had mine, they're hilarious.  :lol:

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 04:45:29 am
Thanks for the props! They are quite motivating to hear. I still think there is a long road ahead before I can consider myself good at it, however.

The following is a test animation for an undead carrying a sword, inspired by those from Diablo 2 LoD

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:53:48 am
I really like those little skulls too.. That's one tiny sword wielding zombie! I can't offer v good crit  (I'm only starting out really), but just wanted to say I like these a lot!

The heads are hard to comment on, the male ones look really good, and I imagine the female will too with hair, just without hair her head shape i think is a bit freaky. The expressions are v nice though. Part of the neck looks too pronounced on the male ones..

The.. umm " / " line by the adams apple.. lol. My anatomy vocabulary is fubar!

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 07:53:55 pm
Hi Mixel,

I really can't believe people like those skulls, but eh, to each his own :P Thanks a lot for the support on that. Don't hesitate on expressing your comments on my work, you don't necesarily have to be a critique to provide insight. :)

I must admit that I am having trouble with the portraits' hair, and I presume that it is because I got the shapes wrong or something. It might also be because I suck at drawing/painting hair -.- I just noticed as well that the girl is bigger on proportion than the other two. Ugh.

I'm not certain I agree on your comment about the males' necks, but I guess I got some bias during my time of drawing too many muscular men when I was a DBZ fan.