AuthorTopic: Requesting a talented pixel artist for an RPG.  (Read 14542 times)

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Re: Requesting a talented pixel artist for an RPG.

Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 06:44:17 am

Ok, as you can see, I'm really looking for a Terranigma style here, for sprites and tiles. I'll also show you Illusion of Gaia...It's the "prequel" to Terranigma. I could only find this crappy most likely JPG'd picture though.

I hope that tells you what kind of style I want? :p Oh, and if someone wants, I need forest tiles. It's a dark, mysterious forest, with branching paths, and old roads. Some streams, and other densely wooded areas. Stones, statues, random debris maybe? Water, rivers, logs (on their sides) maybe some hills, if you want, etc. Thanks...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 07:05:36 am by Q.K. »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: October 22, 2005, 07:37:54 am
Might I suggest you backtrack on that 'obviously I can't start without graphics' bit? Of course you can. It's called programmer art. Stickmen in 1bit, whatever. Make the whole game like that or at least part of it before recruiting people with no pay, no contract, and for what seems like a whole lot of work.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 01:47:33 pm
Agreed. Start programming, after finishing compose an art team and give them exact data on what to make. The only time you'll ever see art development first would be on handheld, cause the specs are known beforehand there...

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 04:02:59 pm
Well, alright :p I'll make this game with stickmen I guess and get people to sprite for it later...

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 02:32:34 am
I'm planning for maybe 4-5 hours max

That's a lot of RPG. How long do you think it will take you to finish making the game? That's a lot of content, especially if you're going for so many different enviroments and details.

This quote comes from one of the animators from Bungie,
“The best thing to do when making game is to get 30 seconds of fun and just keep doing it over and over again, if you don’t have that 30 seconds it wont be as good as it could be...” 
Now I love RPGs like Morrowind ect, yet I hate turn based I feel it ruins the game.  I don’t have the time atm to sift through all the posts here to find out if you said its turn based or not but if it is ^^^ if not ignore that.

Someone probably said all of this so far; don’t start off the game with the player knowing too much try and get them to learn about the character subliminally, by interactions with other people or sneak in into cut scenes.   Like someone else probably said code first then let the artists come to you.

(Ps I've played 300hr rpgs... yet a 5hr rpg is a large task for one man)

"...you're 16, close to turning 17."  *Sings* I am 16 going on 17! *Sings*
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Q.K.

• @qkjosh
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 05:14:34 am
Indeed. :p Oh, and no, it's not turn-based. I don't really like turn-based. Sort of boring. It's real time. And I'm talking with some people on how to enhance the story, and characters, etc.

Offline NyanNyanKoneko

• View Profile
    • Playing With Yarn

Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 07:33:08 am
Q.K., everyone is a critic.  Listen to others, but be strong in what you believe is best for your game.   ;D 

Someone will always think your game is lame no matter how awesome you think it is.  Don't let it get you down!

I believe in you!   ;D