AuthorTopic: Pixipedia  (Read 12680 times)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Pixipedia

on: July 29, 2005, 01:44:21 am
Pixipedia is the Wiki we host for storing information about Pixel Art.

http://pixel-arts.org/pixipedia/

This thread is a place to discuss the content, since it looks like we could use one!

A common problem people are having is that they're not seeing updated copies of the page when they view and edit, which is a quirk with caching. You can modify your cache settings to 'always look' for updates of the page, and I think that will resolve our problems, at least for now..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Pixipedia

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 01:54:54 am
Do you guys think bringing in BUFFERING in the AA entry is worthwhile? I think I'm one of three people that use the term so I wouldn't like to force it, but it's significantly different from more advanced forms of AA. AA is a holistic effect, whereas buffering is used on a case-by-case basis, where a more smooth gradient between two colours is needed. The benefit with buffering is selective usage: you don't suffer from the well-mentioned overal AA blur.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 02:00:32 am
helm: yes. it is a seperate technique.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 02:19:49 am
So refer to Buffering in the AA topic, but create a new topic for Buffering itself?

(eventually we should get images!)

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 02:43:58 am
yes.  like "See also: Buffering"

We also need a section on the subject of luminescent hue rotation (eg. making shadows blue), as a lot of newbies seem to ask about it.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 02:55:19 am
Alright lief. Can you do some visual examples for that? Luminescent Hue Rotation is a topic that should be grouped under the Methodology category.

To clarify, we have Terminology, Methodology, and Tutorials:
Terminology shouldn't be filled with 'how to make a ff sprite', just as Tutorials shouldn't have 'how to anti alias' either. Methodology strikes a middle chord where color theory is a strong candidate.

Anyways, don't sweat the details. If you don't categorize the page, I'll do so for you, though it's explained in the posting guidelines page.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 03:10:45 am
its cool lil piggy
ill sort it out, just have to get a couple of visuals done up...

lol 'how to make a ff sprite' <- please don't make a section that will fit neatly into

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 06:14:38 am
"making shadows blue"

this falls under colour theory. It shouldn't be a piece of independent knowledge, it should fall within a larger methodological framework concerning colour usage. You don't just pick a hue direction and go thataway to get an interesting result ( well, you can do that, but it's a bit more complicated if you want to master it) it has to be in a general discussion about complementary colours, seye afterimages, negative space, saturation and warmth impressionism etc etc etc

we have a lot of work in the wiki ahead of us.

Leif, I trust you're interested in the theoretical side as well, right? The more the merrier.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 06:46:51 am
yes, i was merely referring to the two simplified/stylized techniques in common useage, hue rotation and "making shadows blue".  a broader coverage of color theory would not go astray however.
Leif, I trust you're interested in the theoretical side as well, right?
As well as what, Helm?
I've only discussed theory so far...  ;)  count me in for all the time i can spare.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 08:01:57 am
as well as actual pixelling :)