AuthorTopic: Pixipedia  (Read 12616 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Pixipedia

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 12:45:09 am
I think it's nice to notice that hue rotation and making shadows blue is a different technique. In certain games you see a shallow hue ramp, with a sudden jump to a blue or purple on the last colour. This is a great way of suggesting Ambient blue light, which is something you need to create realistic dusk settings. This is why when playing SoM it seems like dusk all the time.

Oh, and atmospheric lighting would fit nicely within the hue rotation topic too. And I think it would be cool not only to discuss the hue ramp, but also the equally important saturation and brightness ramps. Brightness seems like an easy one, because you could just stairstep it through your shades, but imo you get nicer effects with a more parabolic approach.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2005, 01:59:57 am
i was alluding to the fact that they are both cheap workarounds :) 
with knowledge of "why it is so" people can free themselves from the evil constraints of blue shadowing ALL THE FREAKIN TIME

Oh, and atmospheric lighting would fit nicely within the hue rotation topic too. And I think it would be cool not only to discuss the hue ramp, but also the equally important saturation and brightness ramps. Brightness seems like an easy one, because you could just stairstep it through your shades, but imo you get nicer effects with a more parabolic approach.

So a general lighting section is in order.  Interesting thought with the brightness, I  never really considered it much, it just happens for me.  I tend to think of this more as ambient/spot lighting balance (which is what will alter the "brightness ramp")

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 07:54:20 pm
In the end I think most of us are just fooling around, but sometimes it's nice to know the theory is there, to fall back upon when something looks "off" for no apparent reason.

Perhaps we should create some algorithms to calculate nice pallettes for you. You fill in one colour and it creates a number of shades and pallettes to pick from, with some easy sliders and such...

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 01, 2005, 09:45:12 pm
In theory it is possible, but so are computer generated melodies and they don't work too well.  That is what makes this ART, the human element.  Would be good for some to get ideas or inspirations.  This would actually be easily possible via photoshop actions and a super-special-pre-made image with some fancy layers.