AuthorTopic: Platformer mockup WIP  (Read 13046 times)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Platformer mockup WIP

on: April 20, 2007, 08:28:11 pm
I thought doing a platformer would be good practice, since what I really want to do is a full RPG.  Now that I've started though, I'm having problems with a few things, and I would love some advice.

Latest:

The colors are driving me nuts, and my character doesn't fit, nor stand out from her surroundings properly.  I mostly put her in for scale and to test colors, so the pose isn't going to stay.  I'm just not sure how to fix it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:38:20 pm by Sharm »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Re: Platformer mockup WIP

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 09:32:53 pm
I think it's because your character looks like she is going to a fashion show instead of in a dark creepy dungeon.. maybe you could give her armor or something I dunno. 0.o I guess that might not fit your game if it's actually going to be a game or just a mockup

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:58:19 pm
*laugh* Yeah, she does look like she's in a fashion show.  There's a reason for it, but I'll think about doing a costume change.  The sprite just looks to me like it's the wrong style or colors or something.  Like it belongs in a different game.  So even if I changed what she's wearing, I don't think it'd help.

Edit:  Gave it a try anyway, just to see if it really was the problem I'm having with it, and it's not.  Anyway, here's an update.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:35:45 pm by Sharm »

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:51:35 pm
I liked how she looked so apprehensive and out of place before.. Could've made for a good scenario. She really didn't  look like she wanted to be there at all.. :)

The middle of the dithering above each arch is a bit distracting I think.. I like the floor.. The wall looks a bit flat though? Could you add more variation and shadowed bricks to give it more depth? Maybe it could be darker in relation to the floor to send it further backward.

I definitely like the new ceiling colour more. Not sure what I'd do, but it's looking pretty sofar. I dont think she'd look totally out of place if there were more characters in a similar style.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 11:29:42 pm
Glad you like how she looked before, because I think I'm keeping it.  I'm not keeping that dithering though, it's a place holder.

We have our first enemy!  Though what he's doing in such a watery area is beyond me.  Good thing our girl has a squirt gun with an unlimited supply of water to short him out with.  I darkened the background a bit too.  Maybe I'll add a couple of lighter blocks here and there to break it up a bit.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 11:41:57 pm
The brick bg is very distracting. I think you should move those bricks above the arches to replace the dithering and instead have the actual bg something much simpler. I like the floor and the character. The enemy doesn't seem to have the same...taste as the rest of...everything else.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 12:20:19 am
Short him out? I guess that means he's somehow electrical? At first I thought the enemy was some sort of spirit, being so near water a water spirit then. I don't know if I'm the only confused one though.

One thing to keep in mind when making platformer sprites is this: how far does the character look prepared to jump? If it's a very stylized, small, cartoony character such as Quote (from Cave Story) or Mario, one isn't surprised to see the character jump large distances, making for fast gameplay and open level design. Characters with more limited jumping have worked in platform games too, but those games are very different beasts from the run-jump-go-go-go of the aforementioned popular examples.

Even less willing to jump is a slender female wearing fashion-show clothing and a worried look. I think she looks good, but to my eyes she seems out of place simply because she doesn't look ready for action of any sort.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 12:47:46 am

Xion:  Does this fix it?  (Obviously I'll need to tweak the water trickles)

terminal_arcade:  You're not the only one confused, my brother thought the same thing.  Obviously he needs a redesign, but I'm not sure how to do it just yet.  As for my girl who doesn't jump so well, I'd like to try and make her work, since the concept of the game is based around her.  I'm not too worried about how out of place she looks as a character, as that's sort of the point.  She'll be half afraid of her own attacks.  Could you give me some examples of those games that worked with shorter jumps?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 01:31:27 am
I think Commander Keen is THE ultimate game that works with more complex animated shorter jumps. Try looking at the later ones obviously. CK6 for example.

Oh, and Castlevania: symphony of the night or whatsitcalled for PSone is kind of interesting...

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 01:50:18 am
Thanks.  I love Commander Keen, it'll be fun to check that out again.  And I've enjoyed every Castlevania game I've ever played.

I think I've got the baddie fixed.