AuthorTopic: [WIP] At It Again, Sprites  (Read 4577 times)

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

[WIP] At It Again, Sprites

on: April 26, 2007, 11:03:47 pm
I was working on some body sprites for practice in making them as I haven't really gotten into spriting much ( after my several hundred failures ). Anyhow, I think this one is at least turning out decent for it's purpose but it still lacks something and I'm looking for C + C fellas. Hit me hard!  :-\

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: [WIP] At It Again, Sprites

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 11:14:34 pm
Anatomy...doesn't look right- No crotch? No folds into the armpits? I don't know if you wanted to be be chibi or the like, but from a realistic standpoint, it's not pretty.

And...this needs contrast. Badly.

A lightsource perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 11:16:44 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 11:26:02 pm
First of all, its way to stiff. You need to make more curves where there are muscels and stuff.
the second thing is that you need to work with a lot more darker shadows and more brighter light, contrast(On this one i dont think you should use any light at all, cos skin doesnt reflect much light..if it isnt draped in oil.).
The third thing, you need to take away the pixels that is "dubble"(dont know what it is called) and maby dont use black as an outline.
or just on the place where there is no light and then make a brigther line where the light hits, some sort of lightsource need to be added. i dont know if you want it the "dolly" way but i think you should try study a human body.

i hope i can be of any help

good luck!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 11:32:41 pm by coffee »

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 11:31:40 pm
Thank you sir! I have addressed the contrast issues as you said, and no this isn't supposed to be very realistic at all.  :)

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:39:29 am
though its not exactly supposed to be realistic, you still need to add the correct level of depth. by upping the contrast, really mess around with each individual shade till you personally think it works well. I made an edit of how I think you should improve it.. hope it helps.

I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline madartiststan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:04:19 am
Ah thank you Terley, your edixample made a great deal of difference.

Here's what I was working on prior to Terley's edi:

And post Terley's edit:

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:21:49 am
Between these two, I just see dithering added, and lower saturation in the second. Honestly, you really do need to add significantly more contrast. This means the difference between the lightest values and the darkest values. Make this difference greater, and not only will the sprite come out less fuzzy and undefined, but the lighting will also be more apparent and make more sense, as well as the dithering being of much more use, as currently the lightness of the colours are very close.

Offline candiru

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 09:17:39 am
The second body is more realistic than the original and the lineart is good, although the original works too if you're into that (chibi?) style.

Like Terley said, there is little contrast and the details get lost. Are you drawing on top of a white background? Maybe that's the reason your colors are too bright.

I don't think you need the dithering, it's for when you're working with limited colors.

I made an edit where I upped the contrast, maybe a bit too much.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 01:56:42 pm
Wow, you succeeded in making him look like a stack of marshmallows painted brown.
and you succeeded in making the most useless post ever

on topic: This has improved very well but I think it would look much better with a lighsource, it's pillowshaded right now. And I would go for a colored outline instead of black:

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 02:01:56 pm
It was deleted before I could put in the useful part :(...mayhaps I should wait and do both simultaneously. Wait, that would be a really good idea actually.

I really don't claim to be any expert whatsoever but yeah, perhaps something like this is in suit?

The current guy just seems a little bulgy and what not.