AuthorTopic: Black and white  (Read 11252 times)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Re: Black and white

Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 11:00:17 pm
Mirrors are silver, because that's the color of the stuff they coat the back of the glass with.  It used to really be silver, but it's not anymore.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 11:10:43 pm
Mirrors are silver, because that's the color of the stuff they coat the back of the glass with.  It used to really be silver, but it's not anymore.

Yes.

What colour is silver?
' _ '

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 11:15:02 pm
Shiny gray!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 11:26:23 pm
Shiny gray!

nope, they're a very very smooth but very dark gray.  most metals are super dark!  thus, mirrors are either dark gray or dark brown :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 12:19:37 am
i literally regurgitated a lesson from my physics class, so if what i said is wrong, it wouldnt suprise me.  it wouldnt be the first time we learned about something that didnt happen.

everyone here seems to agree though that pure white and pure black are at the very least constantly percieved, which is good enough for me.  Even with the most extereme possible aperature/iris diameters, theres such a breoad range of light that is either too much or too little to get our eye's attention,  isnt art all about how things are seen, anyway?  unless you are a hyperrealist and want to make things more detailed (and therefor, imo, much less interesting) than they acutally are.

Helm might be on the right track here i think.

art black and art white - these should be used in moderation to draw sharp attention.  oftentimes they will be percieved as ugly or garish because of the contrast, so in cases they should not be used.  as pigments, they drain chroma from a mixture, and therefore should only be mixed with paints that are already as dark as they will get by mixing "pure" colors, or as light, if the artist wishes to maintain any vibrance in their work.  If vibrance is not an issue, go ahead and use them.

on my palettes i almost never use black unless i am imitating a style.  the hercules picture i posted in the OT creativity thread uses black because it is vaguely immitating the style of 16th century dutch painters.  i also tend not to use white as a paint, relying instead on the white of the canvas, but sometimes, if i need to paint with light colors, particularly over dark ones, i will add white.

in monchromatic or achromatic works, value contrast is your closest friend.  make sure you use the darkest darks and the lightest brights available to you so that you can maximize your range of values.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: April 12, 2007, 01:10:25 pm
Hm, I donīt think that silver or gold are colours technically. Itīs the reflective nature of the material that makes stuff look silver or gold or metallic.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rynen10K

• ŋĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 13, 2007, 04:20:59 pm
Maybe you should rephrase the question relating to 1-bit stuff (only colors are Black and White)?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 02:31:56 am
Dare we bring qualia into this discussion??:lol:

:hehe:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.