AuthorTopic: [WIP] Zombie Walk (probably done)  (Read 6358 times)

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Zombie Walk (little update)

Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 11:49:09 pm
TY for the honest crit. Though I disagree with part of it. (uhoh!)

I'm learning a lot, and if it wasn't for the tweaky fix approach I don't think I'd be getting as far. The crit on small elements is getting me to notice things I hadn't before, and Fool's edit made me realise some things I can improve easily. I don't like the pillowshading, but I can, and will improve that.. You guys have much better trained eyes for this stuff than me. (for example the contrast thing really hadn't occured to me until you just mentioned it.)

Saying that - I've probably been posting updates too frequently.  :-[

I have a lot of other zombies and monsters to draw, so if I can do a lot of learning on one or two of them (even if they potentially look duff in the process) it's going to save me having to throw out loads of them once I'm better at this. At this stage, my "new amazing next edition Mk.2 zombie" could  be just as bad, because.. I suck a bit. I'd likely have to tweak him lots too.

The question was "is this improving?" not.. "is this worthwhile?".. I don't want to give up on him yet, but I can certainly post less about him. I know he's not perfect, but I can't do that yet. And though it'd be bold to just ditch and do it all again, I think It'd also be a waste, considering he's the best little zombie I've made, hehe. I might well discard him once I've improved.

I think: is a marked improvement anyway. (no more dither, more colours) And pfft, I'm proud of him sofar. No darling killing! *strokes zombie*

PS: I totally see what you're getting at though, and see how you're trying to help, I'm just not ready yet.

-----

So as to not double post, here's a near final edit.. Just tiny tweaks left now. (fingers etc)

Thanks everyone.. I'd not have done a lot of the stuff without your suggestions/edit... I think i've done an okay job against the contrast and pillowing, and given it more of a consistent (above) lightsource.. It's still wonky, but it's been good experience. Hopefully he ready better now too. I think I've got him as good as I can, anyway.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 09:14:11 am by Mixel »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: [WIP] Zombie Walk (probably done)

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 01:24:15 pm
I'd say it reads much better=) Top of a sprite needs to be balanced in contrast with a bottom.
For animation - his head still changing volume on turn and elbow travels along the arm.=)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:37:52 pm by Fool »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Zombie Walk (probably done)

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 05:35:35 pm
the pants and legs look a lot better, but the jacket still looks more like a poofy robe because of the way you shaded it, and the head's volumes are indistinct and confusing still.  keep at it!