AuthorTopic: PARTICIPATE IN LINEART THREAD DECISION  (Read 23849 times)

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Re: PARTICIPATE IN LINEART THREAD DECISION

Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 08:25:50 pm
The reason I want to deal with this decisively is because I don't want Pixelation to be a 'relax, unwind, sloppily color some lines' type of place.

Well, you even said yourself, It's a pocket community within that thread. If that is true, there should be no danger of that spreading throughout the entire forum. I condone the need for the lineart section's community to do more real pixel art outside of that thread; however this is another overly extreme way of doing it. No one ever complained about having a plce to goof off and get some relief from the atmosphere associated with posting your work in an individual thread. If people feel the need to have their "bad" stuff displayed openly for critique, they'd simply make a new thread in hopes of receiving C&C. There's simply no real need for such a drastic course of action for something so trivial.
/rant

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 09:09:53 pm
   I agree. Plus critiquing someone whose piece derived from line art is kind of difficult. That is, if some mentions how something looks out of place in the base, the artist can immediately use an excuse of "well it's not my lines. I just colored them." I don't know if I should be ashamed or not, but I too found that the line art thread was more for fun, rather than serious critique. I find it more reasonable to focus critique on pieces made o-natural, by themselves. Call me laid back, but I think the line art thread was fine as is. If some people don't wish to publicize their works for critique, than let them lurk till they are ready. I'm not one to push people into battle with only a sword into their hand, without any armor, UNLESS they are willing. This analogy is basically how I'm reading this whole topic, though I may be reading into this a little too deep.

@Lick: A poll IS a decisive decision maker, when their are more than 2 options. You HAVE to choose one of the options-there is no "yes, or no" option when there are 3 or more to choose from.
my back hurts...

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 09:10:04 pm
I kinda see myself leaning towards the two thread idea now that I've read what everybody's had to say.
But I say if it's going to stay the way it is now, perhaps a scheduled clean up of the thread would be beneficial--from what I can remember there are truck-loads of needless "you shouldn't hotlink" and one-liner "thanks" threads that could be removed and not noticed.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:17:40 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline gliding

• Um yea...
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 09:28:55 pm
I couldn't have said it better B.O.B

[edit]

I just realized something. I still back what I said earlier regarding the current lines thread- that stays. I do,however, think it would be cool if we made another thread with a different aim. Perhaps, we could have an alternate lines thread devoted to critique on colour usage and shading in relation to the lineart. The pro aspect, lies in the fact that people have to think less about the composition of the piece, and they can focus more on their use of colour- a great way for practice and recieving constructive criticism. I often shy away from pixeling in terms of study, in that I spend so much time on lines that I begin to slack a bit on colour. This is just a nice way of giving people a chance to treat their palettes well, and glean knowledge from those more versed in the use of colour in pixel art. I'm sure you, helm, could offer a lot of critique in that area- whether you think so or not ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:03:03 am by gliding »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 05:37:01 am
Nobody, not even Helm, is saying that you shouldn't just color lineart for fun, or practice AA, or any of that stuff.  That's EXACTLY what its for.  Just from my perspective, since maybe 10% of the "i colored this" posts receive ANY feedback at all, why even post the work?  If you don't WANT serious feedback, and you aren't GETTING any feedback period, why bother?  That part of the thread just isn't serving much purpose, and it makes it harder to find lineart if you are in the coloring/practice mood.  While we're all in agreement that we should have a thread that is JUST the original linearts, I still disagree that we would for some reason need a whole thread dedicated to people posting their practice work without wanting any feedback, and accordingly no one giving feedback.  Just seems useless to me!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 05:54:38 am
If you don't WANT serious feedback, and you aren't GETTING any feedback period, why bother?
Just cause.
I find it interesting looking, browsing all the different takes on stuff, and when I color lines I feel like I'm contributing to someone else's enjoyment of the same. Not everything has to be shown for serious feedback. I know this isn't a gallery forum, and I hope it never becomes one, but I still don't see the problem with, in one thread, posting art just because. I mean, this is a critique forum, but it's also an art forum, and art should be allowed to be posted for its own sake.

And as has been said many times before, if someone wants some serious feedback they can make a new thread.
I really don't see why this is such a big deal. I don't think anything is being hurt by the thread's existence.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: April 18, 2007, 06:00:08 am
Some questions for those of you who are against this, but if there was a second thread, would you be coloring enough lines to keep it alive? or are you complaining just because?
Also if you are coloring just for fun, and aren't looking for/willing to receive feedback, do you really have to show it? If nobody is going to care, you can keep stuff for yourself.
And then you still have the OT-thread to satisfy your showing needs, if you really have to.
If enough are colored, and posted, then someone could make a post with a collection of everything, but I wouldn't go further than that.

So yeah, strongly against a second thread for coloring lines.

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: April 18, 2007, 06:13:04 am
*puts up a noob hand* I think there's a few lessons which can be learnt from lots of people posting colours of the same lineart, as has happened frequently in the lineart thread.. It shows how much can be done from a simple base, and how even on tiny stuff - artists have distinct styles.. Nowhere else on the board do you get that in quite such a concentrated way, without having to surf n-million threads.

Depends how beginner-friendly the place is supposed to be really, as I think it's currently one of the most "accessible" (unscary) parts of the board.

It's definitely a fun topic to look through anyway, and I think it's currently pretty educational (if individual betterment is the main purpose of the board). Just because the artist did/didn't get crit doesn't mean others can't benefit from the pics.. They could always ask for C&C in the post itself if they do want it anyway.. (it wouldn't have a "No crit here plz!" rule or anything, surely)

I have no idea what I'd do if i were the admin in this situation though.. There seem to be merits to all the ideas.  ??? Personally I think I like the 2 thread idea..  Maybe don't even sticky the "coloured in" thread though, as activity would likely keep it bumped.. (?)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: April 18, 2007, 09:07:44 am
I like the lineart thread for all the different takes of the same linearts. Very different views on the same piece can be very enlightening. Personally i got a lot of "i-never-thought-of-that" feelings each time a new coloring is posted. So if i post a lineart, i get to see a take on the picture that is outside of my head and completely colored based on what the other artist sees, in contrast to what i thought of when i drew the lineart. I also like the more relaxed feel of the thread. It is a bit too random at times, have to agree with that. Maybe keep it at it is, maybe restart it and enforce some rules to make it a bit more serious?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #39 on: April 18, 2007, 01:09:22 pm
Activities are usually supposed to help people learn, not just promote the social aspect of the boards. Coloring in lineart won't be made into an activity thread unless it promotes learning. Xion says 'just 'cause', and while I do agree we need some sort of outlet for 'just cause' talk and art (it's the two OT threads) we don't need a PROMINENT, STICKIFIED HUGE THREAD of 'just 'cause' at the top of our critique board. It just sends off the wrong vibe.

I suggest this: we make a Lineart Thread in activities forum, stickified, strictly regulated so there's only lineart in it. We allow people to post critique or edit other people's lineart for critique purposes, but no colors. We make a 'pixel doodle' stricky thread in the general forum, not only for color-ins but for any sort of half-finished or not ambitious pieces of pixel art people can post to showcase, or to ask someone else to finish for them, or whatever.

This sounds reasonable to as-of-before-this-post dissenters?