AuthorTopic: PARTICIPATE IN LINEART THREAD DECISION  (Read 23848 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

PARTICIPATE IN LINEART THREAD DECISION

on: April 16, 2007, 03:47:48 pm
Okay, I've been browsing the lineart thread for a while and it's become something of a pocket universe in Pixelation, where it has some users that don't participate on the rest of the forum, and the quality of the colors sometimes is very low, without any attempt to give critique to people who post them. This doesn't promote learning and betterment, so I was thinking perhaps it's time to purge the lineart thread and add an additional rule to its usage. You can only post lineart in it. If you color something, you should make a new thread for it, so it can get critique.

Discuss.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Re: PARTICIPATE IN LINEART THREAD DECISION

Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 04:01:21 pm
Go for it.
Also, maybe it could go to the activities/challenges part.

Oh and if you need help just say so.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 04:06:35 pm
   I agree with Panda. It's nice that this is being brought to the rest of everybody's attention, just maybe it could all be placed somewhere, where all of it can be focused on at once. I understand the redundancy in doing so, seeing as how the lineart thread alread provides this for us, but it would be better to create an all new thread/finished line-color dump, than flood the forums with them (not to say that everyone here isn't willing to help...just more organized, ya know?) And yeah, people need to come out of thier shells and not be afraid to ask for critique...
my back hurts...

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 04:10:39 pm
   I agree with Panda. It's nice that this is being brought to the rest of everybody's attention, just maybe it could all be placed somewhere, where all of it can be focused on at once. I understand the redundancy in doing so, seeing as how the lineart thread alread provides this for us, but it would be better to create an all new thread/finished line-color dump, than flood the forums with them (not to say that everyone here isn't willing to help...just more organized, ya know?) And yeah, people need to come out of thier shells and not be afraid to ask for critique...

I agree with this one. Lots of seperate topics seems unecessary as well. And I still feel bad posting something that isn't 100% mine.
One topic for coloured line art critique seems perfect.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 04:34:42 pm
Since where were threads with pixel art asking for critique unnecessary threads around here? We get lots of threads with borrowed lineart anyway. As long as the credit is given, they're just regular threads as far as pixelation is concerned. If they're low quality, they should be helped to become better.

That's the point, I don't want the colored linearts that are posted to be signified as part of some special 'lineart thread' mentality where you don't expect much just because the lineart is borrowed. I want them to be integrated with the rest of the critique threads.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:43:36 pm
If they're low quality, they should be helped to become better.
That's the point, I don't want the colored linearts that are posted to be signified as part of some special 'lineart thread' mentality where you don't expect much just because the lineart is borrowed. I want them to be integrated with the rest of the critique threads.

Sounds a good idea to me..  :)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 05:42:28 pm
Sounds good to me.
Then again this could result in masses of topics exhibiting very similar works -if there is a 'colouring fad' going on.
There are also people who just colour linearts for fun and don't want to work on those any longer because it isn't entirely made by them.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 05:48:51 pm
I don't agree completely here. I know that some people like putting some colors down on a lineart quickly, just as an activity, not to get real specific comments on it.

This, for example would have never been made if I had to show it off in any thread besides the line art thread. I don't believe it warrants a new thread, it doesn't really fit in any other threads I have, since those tend to be really project-specific, and I don't want any comments on it besides: "hehe, cute"

I'm all for cleaning that thread up a little, but this little bugger wouldn't have been made. You see where I'm coming from? I understand your need for consistency though. What about creating an Off-topic Pixel Doodle thread? We can post half-assed pixeled work there, and small lineart colours. Basically, if done that way, you're separating the current thread into a lineart thread, and an offtopic one with lesser art.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:01:19 pm
Well, not having a thread like that would make you either push yourself and polish it more so you can show it, post it for critique, or keep it to yourself.
As an ultimate resort we still have the OT creativity thread.
So I think it would be better overall.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 06:04:11 pm
I don't believe it warrants a new thread, it doesn't really fit in any other threads I have, since those tend to be really project-specific, and I don't want any comments on it besides: "hehe, cute"

But most of the time these pictures don't get any comments at all.  Not even an "I like this".  That was a problem with the first Palette Challenge thread (don't know about the second.  It's rather dead).  There were a few critiques I would have made in these threads, but I didn't feel comfortable, since it seemed like a display thread, and not somewhere where critique was as welcome as the rest of the board.

I personally would like a bit of critique on the stuff I post for challenges, but I don't want to post it in a separate thread.  I like to see my art next to the ones other people did, and I'd rather not have to explain the purpose when I put it up.  But if I need to deal with it if I want any comment at all, I suppose I'll get over it. ;)