AuthorTopic: Project "Lineart" - failed  (Read 4187 times)

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Project "Lineart" - failed

on: April 16, 2007, 01:56:15 pm
Around the end of November last year I decided to color one lineart of each page of the lineart-thread, which at first went relatively well. But then stuff came up: the first batch of exams, Secret Santa, and then the Christmas break, which left me without a computer for about 3 weeks. I never really caught on before the second batch of exams came along, and then another 4 weeks without my computer, after which it was around mid-march. And since I've been busy with more important stuff since, I say: Rest in Peace, Project "Lineart".

Here's the meager outcome, first three from December, last one from January.

Page 1, pixelblink, I don't have the original lines anymore

Page 2, rmedtx
-

Page 5, sohashu
-

Page 7, tremulant
-

I'm not really looking for critique, just showcasing.

Offline pixelblink

• View Profile
    • pixeljoint

Re: Project "Lineart" - failed

Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:56:03 am
wow! those look awesome... especially what you did with my lineart. drool!
Here's the original:

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:50 am
Heh.  I' forgotten about that lineart.  You did better with it than I did.  NIce work on them all, though I wish there were more. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:22:36 pm
That first lineart, it just blows me away how realistic you made that critter out to be, looks like a maggot slurred with a babboon.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:50:16 pm
I love you "angular" style...I may have to save all these for future study  ;)....
Few things though:
-on pixelblink's lines, how come you just added veins on one side of the face?...I mean, I can kinda see why, if you were going for lighting effect, but I think it just lacks congruity without both sides...perhaps use some of the darker colors and vein-up the other side :P.
-on your coloring of rmedtx's lines, I really love the colors, but I personally would have added some more highlights, and perhaps a specular here and there, especially on the axe, helmet, and bracers to give it a more "metal" feel, but just preference...good nonetheless.
-the sohashu coloring is your old avatar :P.  I really like this...cubist-y :D.  Color wise though, I can't be sure as I am on my laptop, but it looks like you may be wasting some color--the top brightest yellows seem pretty much the same at 1x.  You may want to look into it...
-tremulant's zombie-thing: FINISH! I'm seeing some excellent aa and some funky colors....if only it was done :(....

Some neat stuff.  I can't wait to see you do some of your own lines.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 09:41:49 pm
Thanks for the comments

pixelblink: Thanks, it didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted it, but I did learn a thing or two. I don't remember where I read that, but if you're trying new stuff, don't be too set on the final result, that just blocks you, but work step by step. Even if that means that you'll stray from your first mental image, it's a much more valuable learning experience, and you're more likely to come across new methods to achieve certain effects that you didn't initially think of. With time it'll become easier to nail your ideas better at the first tries.

Sohashu:
Who knows, maybe I'll continue with this when I have more time again in summer. Right now my schedule is pretty full until the end of June.

Zee: Thanks.

Rydin: Thank you for the critique. About the first one, well, heh, it simply is unfinished. I faintly remember finishing up the left half before even touching the other, and then I just cleaned up the right half so it didn't clash as much if I wanted to show it to somebody. I might go over it again.
On the centaur, I think the highlights are fine, though I'm not too fond of the axe in general.
Agreed on the two yellows being rather close.
As for the zombie boxer, that basically how I wanted it to look really, trying a more flat coloring style.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:46:07 pm by miascugh »

Offline Lifern

• View Profile
    • Lifern's Portfolio

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 08:38:53 am
Miascugh, I really like your work on color. And I just can't understand the method you use to place them. Looking on your avatar image, as well as the other pics, I see greens, yellows, blues and other colors and they all work together perfectly. How do you achieve this? :huh:

I know the trick, when using the warm and cold colors helps to show the shape of object. To make it, I just use imaginary warm light source in front of object, and a cold light source behind it. But looking on your pics, I see that you don't use this method.

It would be great if you can share the knowledge you use in work with color.  ::)