AuthorTopic: New on this forum here is my work  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Kobi

• View Profile

New on this forum here is my work

on: April 11, 2007, 08:54:47 am
Hi to all. Here is one of my work with all the steps. Hope you like it.

Thanks for your comments

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: New on this forum here is my work

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 09:23:14 am
looks pretty nice, mind if i take a shot at coloring your lines?

Offline Kobi

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:38:32 am
No problem have fun  :)

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:10:40 am
This is great. Love the pencil sketch. My crits would be the sign stands out too much because of the black outline. Also maybe put
some yellow on the grass below the torches. The tree trunk looks a bit flat, maybe some shadows would help. edit:  the birds seem a bit
too close to the tree so they appear a bit like flies or something. Put the birds elsewhere in the sky or remove them, doesn't add much. is this an adventure game background?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 11:23:58 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

yosh64

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:16:05 am
hey

Nice work, but it doesn't look complete to me. Although I do think it has alot of potential :).

I will just point out some of my thoughts and such...

The tree looks a bit pillowy? and the leaves look a bit odd to me also :\.

Hmm, I don't see a clear light source for the scene?

Hmm, I know it might be tough... but the mood of the scene is pretty blank. I think it might bring a whole lot more to it if you make it a night scene or something, and have the torches light shine on things? ATM, I think the torches seems to bring very little to the scene.

Hmm, I think you should get rid of the black lines... or just change them to be relative to the light. By this I mean make them lighter if ther is more light on them, or darker otherwise.

I also feel that the colors can be improved, and more united. I think everything should have a simular tinge to them, if I make any sense?

Sorry to sound harsh, but I look forward to what this can become ^_^.

edit
BTW, I really like your sketch, and the grass and such. Ohh, just looking at the rocks I think I see that the light source is from the top left, moving down and slightly towards us and to the bottom right :). But yea I don't think everything shows this, most noticeably to me are the trees.

another edit
Just took a look again... actually I think the light comes from near the top left, and goes downwards and away from us. I hope that made sense, hehe :).

cyas
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:52:44 pm by yosh64 »

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 12:59:26 pm
Nice scene, but as yosh64 already mentioned it's really lacking of a light source. Also, back plane could be toned down a little to get some depth...

Quick (blocky) edit to point it out - don't really know where you want your light come from - just for an idea.=)

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 03:08:07 pm
fools edit does a great job to show what a clear, strong light source does to an image...even in rough blocky form.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 03:55:04 pm
Good picture!
I like pencil drawing too. With sword this maybe be better... but this idea is funny too ))
Few words to you: The stone near castle like as cobweb, they needed more sharp edges and contrast with light and shadow - see on you first plane, there stone is more better, but not enough, i hope this quick edit help you understand:

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 06:22:04 pm
mangust, fool, excellent edits!

Kobi - your details are quite good, but in general you need to focus on painting those big volumes of light before you proceed into the details.  E.g. in Stage 6 there, rather than starting on the tree trunk, you should have continued to block in your basic colors throughout the image.  Once you start detailing its really hard to throw away that work when you have to make big lighting changes, but if you don't do it then your image will suffer.  Arne's thoughts on this topic are much more clear and concise than my own: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Offline Kobi

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 09:05:16 am
Thanks to all i will do the update as soon as possible