AuthorTopic: pretty big piece, refining gets annoying.[UPDATE]  (Read 6481 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

pretty big piece, refining gets annoying.[UPDATE]

on: April 15, 2007, 01:18:50 am
yeah, yeah, i know. ANOTHER muscular demon. thought that i had quit them did you? nevvar.

might get lost. any comments and critique welcome
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:45:24 am by Ryumaru »

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Re: pretty big piece, refining gets annoying.

Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:25:20 am
Really cool. I like the way the browns and black create comic-book like lines. Refining this into a pure pixel piece might even be a bad choice, it looks really cool the way it is. Going too in-depth with the detail might detract...

All that bothers me is that his chin and his shoulder touch, creating a bit of confusion about depth.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:51:18 am
looking good dude, keep it up, I can't wait to see further progress!
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 04:01:42 am
: D
just for those positive comments, heres an update:

Offline MashPotato

• View Profile
    • Crabshack Gallery

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:36:04 am
Looks really cool!  As for crit, the line going down the middle of the back (I don't know the name, but the line beneath the lower trapezius muscles) seems a little too straight as it goes to the right, so it doesn't look centred on the back.
Looking forward to the finished piece ^_^

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 04:38:01 am
*bows*muscular demons are awsome and this is one of the best ive seen...i like the thick lines even if it looks more like a painting-thats a good thing imo. good job :D

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 09:42:50 am
great shading begin. keeps it smooth where it needs too be smooth  and detailed where it needs to be detailed. I'm not sure it the dithering on the arm/back is needed since it creates a bit of texture against the head, which shows that this piece would mostly work without dithering. The palette is great also. No colour sticks out, except the brightest blue maybe (the last blue before the grey which is followed by a green :D I should just have started ps and got the hexcode -_-) which looks a bit too saturated. But when you desaturate it, it could harm the gradients with the highlights on his arm, so I guess you might wanna saturate the second brightest blue a bit more or just let it be as it is :D
Im definitely looking forward to seeing this finished :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 10:16:17 pm
mashpotato: i think what makes the off centered look is the cast shadow of the arm onto the back, leaving less of the muscle in light and making you think that that is the entire part of the muscle.
miscdude: thankyou
philipptr: the head doesnt need any dithering because it has lots of wrinkles and other details to fill up space, where the muscles is just pure mass without any detail disruptions.
thankyou for the comments everbody.

one bit at a time:

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 10:22:13 pm
I'm still trying to get over the fact it's not red. :P
This isn't really my thing, but I do like the colours you've picked, and the boldness of the lines.
Keep going. :y:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 10:35:36 pm
mashpotato: i think what makes the off centered look is the cast shadow of the arm onto the back, leaving less of the muscle in light and making you think that that is the entire part of the muscle.

it reads as a separate plane instead of as a cast shadow.  this is mostly due to the fact that it doesnt seem to agree with the rest of your lighting....if the arm were actually casting that shadow from the lightsource, the entire back would also be in shadow because the shadow of the forearm never crosses back over the bodytail, so the lightsource cannot be in front of the object but rather behind it.  either make the rest of the image backlit, or fix/remove that shadow.  either way, your lighting must agree
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.