AuthorTopic: platformer sprite  (Read 5715 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

platformer sprite

on: April 13, 2007, 08:22:07 pm
- > - >

I drew this last night, it suffers from alot of errors, pretty slanted among other things that I didn't notice until it was done, figured I'd post it here for c+c
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:00:27 am by setz »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: platformer sprite

Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 08:43:16 pm
I really like those pants :)
Yeah, as you said, he's really leaning way too far forward. And the gun looks weird since the...um...handle[?] is just like, straight down. As far as I know, guns' have slanted...handles.
He also looks really skinny due to that hole between his torso and > arm.
His legs are a bit short.

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:09:58 pm
The gun looks like its coming out of his wrist. His torso is really really small.

He kind of looks Egyptian with that helmet or whatever on ;)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:12:38 pm
Wait a minute.... *zooms in*  It's a girl!  You've obviously got some readability issues.  Is she wearing a hood or is that her hair?  It kinda looks like a hood.  What's that yellow thing?  Moving the head back a bit should help the tilt a lot.  I like the pants too, well done.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 11:50:54 pm
concept art it was based off.

I suppose I made it a little too feminine  :-X

updated. I changed the color of the shirt (for pallete swaping later, mostly) as well as a few other things

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:55:59 pm
The picture's not wanting to load for some reason.  The update helps a ton.  Now the torso looks too long for the legs.

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:03:52 am
give the gun some shading, even just a few pxls.  it looks very flat and alters the entire sprites 'feel'

edit really made a huge difference.

Offline D39

• Dan3099
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 04:59:39 am
I don't like the green hood. Is he wearing a green jumper under that blue shirt? It confuses me.

Also the divide between his shirt and pants was considerably more clear in the first version of him.

Thats so cool that you do your concept art on a wipe-erase board like that  ;D great idea.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:05:41 pm
Got the reference image to work, now I see where you were going with some of this.  I think making the cap brown helps a lot, and I tried to make that shoulder strap look like it was going across his chest.  Right now it looks like he's wearing some sort of jacket with the lapel sticking out.

I wanted to edit a few more things, but I wasn't sure about your restrictions.  Is there a size limit?  Is he always going to be facing the same way?

Offline havocplague

• View Profile
    • my old portfolio

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 10:55:51 pm
It looks like he's holding the gunhandle with his _whole_ hand, rather than keeping his finger on the trigger. It might just be because how the handle is placed too, I would do something like this:

*tiny edit*

And yeah, some shading on the gun too of course. Other than that, he looks cool. For some reason, he reminds me of the Indiana Jones movies..