AuthorTopic: GAY-tor, yepyep AYE  (Read 8936 times)

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

GAY-tor, yepyep AYE

on: October 19, 2005, 06:58:51 am
well, Iv been workin on this one for quite sometime now.
and I have come quite some distance from the first edit of this.

It uses 19 colours. Pep picked the pallete, and i did a few edits here and there.
well, here it is:

any comments and crits would be greatly appreciated, as I did still be willing to make a few adjustments here and there.

yepyep

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: GAY-tor, yepyep AYE

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 08:02:48 am
I can see the talent and effort you put in to it, but its just too messy a picture for me, Im sure some people would love it tho

all I can offer as real criticism is that his eyes look a little too smooth and dont seem to fit in, and that I dont much like the obliqueness of the deck

sorry for sounding so negative :-[
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline l0rdtaz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 08:43:55 am
If you put a frame arround it and place it in a game, it would make a perfect painting!

I can't see another way to find it useful..
As mentioned above, it's to messy as a picture. But as a painting on a wall, it works great!

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 09:12:56 am
I really like how the background came out, The clouds look nice and billowy.  It's easy to see that you put a lot of effort into this.  If you were aiming to give everything a textured appearance the eyes look unfinished because they aren't dithered.  Good job on the wood also, tis a fine pirate vessel.

Offline ptps

• I is n00b. ph33r me. Now.
    • View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 11:29:59 am
I think I'm just repeating everyone by saying that it looks like a lot of effort, so I won't. Hah! Oh, wait, I just did... Urgh, never mind. *rolls eyes*

I think the image isn't so much of messy, rather it's sort of... busy. There's dithering everywhere. Dithering's a good thing, but personally I think it should be used sparingly, otherwise the image ends up looking difficult to read.

The character design and the background is really good though! Although the character seems to blend into the background a little too much. Perhaps give the character a slightly darker outline for distinguishing? There's a whole lot of blue, and it gets a bit hard to see around the tongue and waist/leg area.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 06:45:33 pm
You could make the bg lighter to give more contrast. remember that the important is the characther, not the bg

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 10:57:22 pm
Disclaimer: I'm not so hot an artist, what I'm going to say are some things I've observed and I believe help integrate a BG and the object of focus.

It feels like everything is the same depth. Each object has the same contrast, same saturation, thus same depth. The further an object is from us, the more desaturated, blurry and undetailed it becomes. You also need to make sure that the background isn't creating a power struggle with your focal point. This means making sure the background doesn't have the same range of values(I'm thinking luminance here) that your gator has.

I'd say probably the best way to get ideas for what to do with this would be to start looking at how other artists do it. Eatpoo.com's forums has tons of incredible artists for you to stare at and learn from. I'm sure you've got a ton of links to art sites you can use for reference as well. It could also be a good idea, for your next piece, to make a quick sketch and try laying out your colours that way.

For right now, you could try breaking this into different layers. Probably something like sea<ship wall<ship floor<gator+foreground obejcts. Then start reducing the saturation and contrast of the furthest background layers.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 04:28:33 am
heh thanks for the replys.

Im really taking into account the busy-ness that you mentioned, and im trying to tone it down. also im looking into the depth part too. thats why i have water darker at back. or should it be more still?

This isnt a huge update, but ehh...

Iv only reworked the character and the water.
sky, deck, and ropes all untouched.

Just thought Id check to see if this is more along the lines of what your suggesting before I got too far into it.

heh, decided to scrap the whole limited pallete thing. The previouse pallete had 19, and that was the best that I personally could crank out of it. so i figure ill add colours and redo em as i go. id prefer it to look good, rather than say it has a low colour count.

thanks again

Offline ptps

• I is n00b. ph33r me. Now.
    • View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 05:58:50 am
That looks much better. (That was a shirt? Eek. I thought it was a tongue initially. *gets bricked* Sorries) :P Nice work!

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2005, 07:17:02 am
Heres to the sky.

clouds and nightsky redone.

now i just gotta figure out how to do wood....