AuthorTopic: Cathedral-style 2d Tile background (now with gargoyle statue)  (Read 7476 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Cathedral-style 2d Tile background (now with gargoyle statue)

Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:15:18 pm
okay so I decided to do the light stuff with overlays inside my engine, so not much progress on the old scene. what I would like some c+c is this gargoyle I made:

face and wings just look too plain/wrong, does somebody know how to avoid this without adding colours?
edit:
changed it a bit to make it more readable:
better?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:15:36 pm by philipptr »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 11:06:17 pm
The bones of the wings come from the apex, so the problem is the curve.  It's all even when it should taper toward the top.  I only changed the left side (his right) to show what I mean.

(I hate doing edits on a laptop with only a touchpad, otherwise I would have done both sides)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 08:14:34 pm
very good point sharm, thanks very much.
tried to change it in this edit:

also changed the face/horns a bit. The horns still don't look very good. but I'm slowly running out of ideas how to fix them. If noone has an idea how to fix the head I guess I'll have to take this at it is at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 08:18:17 pm by philipptr »

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 09:57:17 pm
the 45 degree line of light (coming from the top of the windows) implies to me that the gargoyle should have direct light hitting its right side.

this would provide a chance to add lighter variations to stuff other than windows, and help break up the long sections of drab muddy dark.

just imo of course.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 05:07:46 pm
Sorry for bumping this thread again, basically I wanted to know if you think that this kind of combination of light and texture works okay on the stone background (I mean the parts near the windows) or if you think it looks to random:

(additional lighting might be done with alpha in the game)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 09:59:06 pm
The brick with the windows reminds me of a place I used to live by.  I think it was a reception hall.   Anyway, I don't think it's too random, it works.