AuthorTopic: Cathedral-style 2d Tile background (now with gargoyle statue)  (Read 7443 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile
So I was trying to make a castlevania-like backround, and although the number of tiles raised dramatically since I added the lightrays and changed the light a bit I wanted to hear some constructive critism.

Is the green ramp unfitting for this kind of church-window?

Generally I think it's pretty boring at the moment, maybe it's just that I need to add detail..

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:12:43 pm by philipptr »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Re: Cathedral-style 2d Tile background

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 04:56:36 pm
There's a type of glass that's that color of green, so I think it works well, though a church would probably have a few more colors as well.  I think those light rays are distracting.  Going with large shafts of light would be more castlevania anyway.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 07:01:36 pm
thanks for the advice, you're right now that I look at it again, it seems pretty strange with the rays. Haven't played castlevania for some time ;)
(just to clarify: I don't want this to be 100% castlevania-style. It's acutally for a game i'm making and I thought a scene like it could be part of castlevania would be fitting.)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01:14 pm
Maaaan, this is good <3

I'm especially loving the reflection from the floor unto the walls. That's a detail that really stands out if you check closely but feels completely natural if you don't think about it.

That means, it's subtle and it's great :]

Myself, I approve of the one-coloured glass. It gives a kind of underwater feeling which I like :]
' _ '

Offline uridicy

• Beware the Pixolator
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Pocket

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 11:05:53 pm
I really like the colors and the lighting :).

There's a small problem with the small details on the angled walls, the details go straight across.  They need to be more diagnol like the wall.  Of course that might just be a placement issue.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:34:46 am
this doesnt try to tile at all, but i think yuo could achieve something similar without too much work or added tiles :

basically, you can add a whole lot more atmosphere just by playing with lights.  Also, i added some foreground pillars, which the character and enemies could disappear behind.  by making your level multi-layered, you create a lot more visual interest
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 12:46:51 am
And only 635 more colors. :y:

The bottoms and tops of the pillars look a little odd. Unless they're + shaped. Then it makes sense.

Pretty. :)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 01:14:38 am

Small edit I did.

Adarias: sexy!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 01:21:19 am
And only 635 more colors. :y:

you could do it in under 16 colors if you worked at it, i just dont have time anymore to do full-on pixel level editing of that nature.  would take several hours i dont have.  the gradient is just to show an impression, not a technique
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 09:43:32 am
thanks for the comments, here's a quick reply before making a new edit ;)

uridicy:
If understand you right, the walls you mean are not supposed to be angled. You mean the area between the big window and the smaller ones right? It's supposed to look like the bottom raises and the roof is getting lower. that's why I made these parts at different positions.
adarias:
very nice edit. I'm afraid though I won't be able to achieve the same effect with my current skills. It wil end in one big dithered mess :D I will give it a try though, especially creating a smaller light at the lower parts of the scene. And yes the engine I currently code supports multiple layers, I just had no idea how to use them properly in this scene.
mccow28:
they are supposed to be octagonal :/
Gil:
nice edit too. Now I again think about if it wouldn't be a better decision to have symmetric light in the scene :/ also nice details on the pillars, gonna work on that

Edit:

Okay, 3 tries later I think I'll give up about the 45° light I had. it just wont work with this scene.
Edits with symmetric light will follow ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 02:15:08 pm by philipptr »