AuthorTopic: Animation list  (Read 4901 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Animation list

on: April 11, 2007, 04:47:11 am
Hello,

I'm programming a side scrolling game, and I'm at the point where I want to start defining the exact list of animations for the player. Right now I just have a mega-man stand in running around the level.

Basically, it is regular a regular side-scroller, except you have a jetpack in which you can fly around with. Here is the list of animations I have so far, I've tryed to cull as many frames as possible to keep it plausible:

Code: [Select]
Idle (3 frames)
Running (5 frames)

Jumping upwards (1 frame)
Jump zenith (1 frame)
Falling (1 frame)

Jetpacking idle (2 frames)
Jetpacking foreward (2 frames)

Getting hit on the ground(1 frame)
Getting hit in the air (1 frame)

Does the number of frames for each animation sound correct? I know nothing of animation or pixel art, so that is why I am asking about this here. Is 5 frames good for a run animation? Are there any other animations I should be considering, or any ones I should get rid of?

Thanks for the input.

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Re: Animation list

Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:02:00 am
maybe you should have a small animation when he stamps of the ground?

not so good at animation eigther but this sounds quite ok, depending on how you want the game, you can make a run cycle with only 2 frames... but I recomend 4-8... 6 is maybe a good choice...

also 1 frame for getting hit? In the old megaman game its a white flashing animation... is the flashing thing included in your 1 frame? otherwise I think it would be nice to increase the frames.

//Albin

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 05:02:38 am
I don't really think the amount of frames is all that important a factor, so long as the animations themselves are good. You could have a 3 frame run animation that reads better than a 10 frame one, and I'd say go with the 3 frame one. But of course, you don't want too many frames else you get a large filesize as well as overrendered animation or too few for lack of readability and inability to convey the proper...mood[?] of the animation. So I guess I'm just saying as long as they look good.
Also, size plays a factor. Big sprites may need more frames.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 05:40:05 am
Thanks for the input. I took off the animation for him landing, as I was trying to get rid of superfluous frames. I think I will up the run to 6 frames, however.

also 1 frame for getting hit? In the old megaman game its a white flashing animation... is the flashing thing included in your 1 frame? otherwise I think it would be nice to increase the frames.

I can probably do the flashing in the actual code, but even if I don't, it's just a matter of taking the 1 frame and filling it with white for the next frame. How this looks is all up to what the frames look like, however, I'm not trying to remake megaman.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 03:31:08 pm
Up the run to 6 frames and it looks good to me.

I have no clue how one would make a run from 5 unique frames...

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 04:27:56 pm
Yeah, that's all that stood out for me. A run cycle should have an even number of frames.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:37 am
a frame where the feet are together under the torso, knees bent, arms at side, curved, etc. then two frames for each foot outstretched, and then moving back towards the center. 5 frame run cycles are acceptable.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 03:11:09 am
That would actually be 6 frames, only 5 unique. That is if the animation moves straight through all frames. If it was your way, the third frame would have to be revisited.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 03:21:08 am
That would actually be 6 frames, only 5 unique. That is if the animation moves straight through all frames. If it was your way, the third frame would have to be revisited.

see:

Quote from: Rox
I have no clue how one would make a run from 5 unique frames...

I know it would have to be 6, but it could be made from 5 unique.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 04:12:37 am
a frame where the feet are together under the torso, knees bent, arms at side, curved, etc.

Nobody gets into that position while running.  The running animation you describe would look bad and unnatural, running animations should be kept even so to avoid impossible frames like that or limps.