AuthorTopic: MineSweeper Game Sprites - Help & Suggestions - [WIP]  (Read 4330 times)

Offline mattness

• View Profile
Hi,
i'm coding a little MineSweeper clone game (i think most of you know the original version :crazy:), but i can't find graphics that satisfy me completely..

Here a little shot:

What do you think about the graphic theme?
Can anyone suggest to me some alternative sprites?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:01:34 pm by mattness »
<<You chanted the Resurrection Spell. You've been revived in the Realm.>>

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount
I like this theme. I think the high contrast between the cleared and the uncleared blocks makes the latter somewhat obscured, i'd suggest darknening the cleared blocks. Also, the numbers could take use a bit of more attention, either by more saturation or any other technique you prefer.
If you want, you can take a look at a Minesweeper i coded and did graphics for: http://rapidshare.com/files/33576902/Arcade_Minesweeper_Deluxe.zip.html
Just don't blatantly rip the graphics, ok please? :)

I think Minesweeper would look good with several different tiles for each type: cleared, uncleared, numbers and even bombs. Just making small variations to add an extra flavour.

Offline mattness

• View Profile

Re: MineSweeper Game Sprites - Help & Suggestions - [WIP]

Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 02:16:28 pm
Thanks for the reply Turbo, I've just ripped your MineSweeper's graphics!  (uahahahahah!!! >:D)

Jokes apart, following your suggestion I made a little edit on numbers changing saturation, brightness and color-scaling step:

Old ones: , and New ones: ;

Here the in-game shot:

Do you think this way is better?

I really have no ideas about cleared blocks... I tried to draw them darker, but the result wasn't very good...
I want to find a color solution that returns all the elements a bit more "homogeneus" between themselves, without make them monotonous... what a trouble!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:48:05 am by mattness »
<<You chanted the Resurrection Spell. You've been revived in the Realm.>>

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 03:28:55 pm
if you do black outlines on the numbers instead of white they would be better visible... since you have a white BG too..

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 07:09:52 pm
if you do black outlines on the numbers instead of white they would be better visible... since you have a white BG too..

I dissagree, i think that would be too distracting. However the 1 is too perhaps bright, perhaps shift the colours of the numbers along a bit and make the 8 slightly darker and richer.

Good luck with this.

Offline terminal_arcade

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 07:43:46 pm
It seems to me that the solution to increasing the numbers' readability is simply using colours that contrast each other in hue rather than sit adjacent on a ramp.

For example, in the Windows version of Minesweeper on my computer, 1=blue, 2=green, 3=red, 4=indigo, 5=burgundy, 6=blue-green...

In the average game, 1 is the most common, with 2 and 3 making up the majority of the rest of the numbers on the screen. Shouldn't these three numbers have hues that are the farthest distance apart for readability purposes? Rarely seeing a 5 or 6, and almost never a 7 or 8, the "ramp" theme, though in theory unifying, might not be nearly as apparent to players as you'd like. The saturation increase was a step in the right direction, but doesn't remedy the readability problem, because at a glance, 1 and 2 simply need to look quite different.