AuthorTopic: girl in dress  (Read 20333 times)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: girl in dress

Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 01:39:37 pm
making it look non-anime

Maybe something like that would work?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: April 11, 2007, 01:41:15 pm
The chin is too strong in the right sprite, I think

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 01:56:14 pm
well, she's not meant to be a figher sprite :\ what do you think I can do to the boots to make them more regal looking ?  the sholder pads are a late addition, I added them in an attempt to make it look more like a big regal dress, I am suprised they make you think she looks more like a figher.

well anyway, here's an update.

mostely the hair is what I think I have improved the most, I have changed some of the shadowing on the dress to try and make it all look more 3d.  I changed a few pixels of her face, nothing major.  I even reduced her boobs by about a pixel.

[edit] wow thanks fool, that is very interesting indeed, I might try to so something along those lines [/edit]

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 03:20:55 pm
well, she's not meant to be a figher sprite :\ what do you think I can do to the boots to make them more regal looking ?

well royalty would not wear boots with such a dress. And a properly trained princess whatever would not stand like that, I feel. And the dress would not have a cut in it, more or less signifying a straight-through metaphorical entrance to her much guarded womanly features... it's just game-sprite-ish, you see what I mean? The left sprite doesn't suffer from most of these 'issues' through obstruction.

It comes down to what game-world this sprite belongs to, obviously.

Edit:

anime videogame fighter sprite:
semirealistic princess:
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 03:30:12 pm by Helm »

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 03:40:45 pm
it's interesting seeing it closed fronted, I might try something a bit like that later on today.  right now I need to do some revision for my final exams which are in a month.  at the moment, if I close my eyes I see pixels, I need to get myself to a state where if I close my eyes I see mathematics.

I'll try and do an edit tonight.

do the boobs still offend you in my newer version ?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 03:46:31 pm
hehe sorry if this all comes as 'oh my my delicate sensibilities'. I felt aesthetic concerns should be adressed, sorry if I'm out of line, given how this is mostly for pixel critique.

I cannot see newest edit, I am not ignoring your progress. Your host seems to be down, for me at least.

Offline Zomby138

• View Profile
    • reanimatedart

Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 04:21:17 pm
That's very strange, there sever is definitely up at the moment, can you get the original post to load ? (with a ctrl+refresh)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 04:27:55 pm
  Uhm, Helm? I can see the new edit just fine. I think it might just be on your end...

The newest edit looks much better. Now we're starting to see some depth, within the dress. And I don't think you're offending anyone with the large breasts. It just gets kind of tiring seeing most women characters with huge boobs, and tiny waists. I'm guessing by the time she hits her 40's, she's going to be having some major back problems, and 'dem burbs' will be sagging and dragging along with her feet.
   Heh, but seriously, the design is ok. It's just something that we've seen too many times before. I do like how this is coming along, though. Are you going to show us exactly what colorful designs go with the dress when you get back from the exams?
my back hurts...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 04:50:16 pm
nope still can't see anything on reanimatedart.com

Offline ProgZmax

• Relax!
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 04:57:04 pm
Speaking as someone who has been doing pixel art since around '92 on my old miggy, I must say that you've got a very impressive style going on here.  The linework is solid, the shading is more or less spot on, and you've given her an interesting, provocative pose.  That said, I have to agree with Helm that while you've given her an interesting pose, it's not really something befitting a princess.  I also agree that the split front all but destroys the image of regalness you're working so diligently to present here, because a Lady (big L) would:

a) have one of those under-frock things below the dress with ruffles all the way down past the knee

b) be wearing slippers or something of that nature and

c) never ever allow someone to casually look up her dress at her goodies.

I cannot see your new version either, but I will be happy to provide an edit of some sort to address a few of the minor issues I see keeping this piece from perfection.  Great work, really, and awesome effort on the shading!

-ProgZ