AuthorTopic: Pokemon-ish Stuffs.  (Read 7288 times)

Offline ptps

• I is n00b. ph33r me. Now.
    • View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Pokemon-ish Stuffs.

on: October 18, 2005, 06:43:12 pm
Hi, new poster. *waves, timidly*  I'm fairly new to pixel art and I have horrendous issues with iconic stuff.

And... Wow. Uh. I've been thoroughly wowed over by the insane amount of talent and skill in these forums. Please give me your guidance. *bows*

I've recently gotten myself addicted to the Pokemon games again, and out of sheer boredom I thought I'd create a few Mons of my own. I really like the pixel art that Sapphire has, and I tried to do something similar... I think I failed though. :|

Sapphire's graphics:

And here are my failed attempts to acheive something of that standard:

Yessss. Pheer.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Re: Pokemon-ish Stuffs.

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 06:52:33 pm
Failed atempts? :o i think tose are relly good!

Well, the first one needs work and the fifth is kinda confusing, but they're preety good!

Offline ptps

• View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:56:20 pm
Heh, I only just realized how much the lines of the fifth one seem to blend right into the background of this website. There's actually a grayish kind of line that defines its spine and such.

The first one needs work in what way?

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 07:53:56 pm
Mostly, it needs work on the hair. Also you could shape the jeans and the feet a lot better.

I just gotta say this: that last one is brilliant! I love it! ;D

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 10:55:59 pm
the...marvellous art of Sapphire? god...

well, it might just be because you play so much pokemon, but let me tell you that art is far from being something to admire, that art can ONLY be seen as marvellous compared to the poor threatment Pokemon has had before that, really.....there's tons of much much better graphics in many many other pixeled games.

your stuff looks good for what you were trying to do, I can see a minor error here and there, but it's mostly good at what it was trying to achieve, you did learn the redeeming aspect of their art which is to cleverly depict very solid volume with just a few shades.

The one place where I think you really missed the Sapphire style, was with the little human, but I wouldnt get very worked up about that, since I think if anything your character has too much vividness and personality to be a sapphire sprite.

I think you need to stop trying to imitate these guys, or you'll pick up all of their bad habits and start replicating them as if they were a necesity for you to do pixel art.

I'll mention the error that bugs me the most, it's with the spikral, now, the highlight at the botton ring of his shell has a very very odd sort of crescent moon shape to it, which doesnt mach the tire-like shape that the shell ring has, you should have the lightest highlight shade cut off right by the middle of the "tire" and extend that darker highlight shade you have for AAing a little bit more than your usual 1-pixel with, to smooth it out.

the koraleon's  whole wing area although interestingly shaded is very very confusing, I think it is because you have both wings so close to eachother, so you might want to enlarge the picture and move his left wing to his left, or diferentiate that one's shading from the other by removing the highlights, or applying them in a very different manner.

spiddle now that I look at him looks quite odd, you might have something going on with that cute little face peeking out of the botton, but the lineart is very very weird, it looks like it might topple and fall at any moment, the two little paws dont look like they belong to him since they're mostly fixed to face the camera, rather than oriented to emerge from the center of the creature, and the "slot" from which the head comes out looks like it's just one or two pixels too far to his left to be facing us that directly.

except for spiddle All of them have a very good sense of action, and their poses depict each of them very well, I specially like the way you can just picture the way spikral would paddle out of the field of view if the frame was un-frozen.

now, for the actual designs of the pokemon, koraleon looks a bit like a stealth lugia, kittal like every anime seal ever drawn with a few feathers here and there, spiddle and spikral are closer to something truly new, but I really like sakuramon, since it has that classic feel of the first batch of pokemon, unlike most of the latter which look too aerodynamic to be adorable quirky little monsters, and is quite a bit odd and unique, specially that bald spot over her head.

if you really think there's something very good about sapphire's art that we are still not seeing, show us what it is and why you like it so much, we can tell you how to achieve it if it really is something to admire, and just the act of explaining it to us may also give you a renewed view on their art.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 11:07:10 pm by Camus »

Offline ptps

• View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 05:10:04 am
Hi Camus,

I don't think I said that Sapphire's art was "marvellous" in anyway :| I only mentioned how much I really liked it. I know it's definitely not one of the best, seeing as there're other games like Sword of Mana and Metal Slug and whatnot, but Sapphire's simplistic style really appeals to me. While I don't intend to have all of my future pixel art coming out looking that way, I'd like to use it as a starting point, seeing as I haven't even grasped the concept of pixel art, and perhaps once I'm more familiar with the medium I'll develop a style of my own. =P

Still, thank you very much for the in-depth critiques on all the sprites, wow. I really appreciate it. =) Kittal was half-assed XD So I'm not too surprised by your comment. 

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 09:49:31 am
Oh, come on Camus. ptps said the STYLE of Sapphire is appealing. I have to agree that it is. It's very easy to look at and makes telling the difference between creatures really easy. Why would there be something wrong in liking a style, even if some of the art using the style might be flawed?

I think you've done well, ptps. I don't play Pokemon... at all... so I might be wrong, but at first glance those critters really do look official. I miss the first two games, though... They were cool and fun and creative. The newer ones are just so damn... gimmicky.

Offline ptps

• View Profile
    • PTPS/gallery

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 11:25:12 am
Hi Rox, :D

You're right, haha, the first generations of pokemon were pretty interesting, but they get progressively better in each series. (The graphics being the major leap, wow. Pokemon Red sucks really bad right now. XD )

And errr, wow, official? I'm flattered. Thank you. I'm still amazed no one's pointed out the horrible dithering attempts I did on some of the critters. :o

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 03:02:10 pm
If the level you wanted to achieve was pokemons level, that dithering would be perfect.

But I have to agree with Rox. Those LOOK official!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 08:04:52 pm
heh, sorry if I emphasized to much that the guys of sapphire arent very good, but it's because I saw some crits about your stuff not being enough like theirs, when I belive your little human is much better than what they do, and it would be a pity to see it get dumbed down for the style.

I think the first batch are much better because they werent originally meant to be super-popular kiddy gimmicks, in the red & blue series they look quite awful, so when they made anime and the yellow version, they had to adapt them to look like something more like out of a marketable anime series, that gave them a lot of variety and made them very interesting. with the new ones there are barely any surprises, or outlandish designs.They are mostly the same kind of proportions and now it's quite visible how they all are drawn by the same team of people.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 05:53:00 pm
the 3rd ones cloest back leg looks abit to sqaure. i like the 2nd and 4th ones.
Nixel Art