AuthorTopic: Some warrior[wip]  (Read 7688 times)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Some warrior[wip]

on: April 10, 2007, 06:13:50 am
Just a study  piece that could really use some crits, colourwise - just cant get it right. =)
Most likely has some anatomy issues - I'll appreciate any help on that one.

Pose edit:

Colors edit:

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 01:18:29 am by Fool »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: Some warrior[wip]

Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:16:33 am
Wow, this looks very good.
I couldn't resist to mess around with it and this are the edits that looked helpfull to me:

edited:
left arm
hand
chest

For the colours, they look pretty good to me :y:

yosh64

Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:59 am
hey

I'm no expert... but I think color wise it looks nice :).

Hmm, I think I actualy find that if you leave it for a little while, and then come back later and look at it, you may see the colors differently... well I think this is particularly so with skin... I dunno, maybe this is just me? I just remember pixeling something once, and thinking the skin looked too orange or something... but I think I left it, and when I looked at it later I thought it looked fine... so I dunno :\.

cyas

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 09:55:15 am by yosh64 »

Offline zeid

• View Profile
    • Pixel Class

Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 09:58:06 am
colours look great to me, I'm not exactly the best guy on anatomy but that right arm of his looks a little short to me as it isn't conveying enough depth at the elbow or something... I couldn't actually see the sword at first glance, so there is some readability issue there that could be making the arm look off.
View my Devlog... unless you aren't ready to have your mind blown.

yosh64

Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:08:37 am
hey

Aha, I didn't even realise it was a sword either. Hmm, and it does look to me like his right arm should be a bit longer? But yea, when I look closer it seems that I'm just not reading the depth properly? so I dunno :\.

cyas
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:11:47 am by yosh64 »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:11:02 am
Rough edit:

His ribcage is placed very high up and his groin is pretty low. (could have raised it more, but I reckon these are loose pants.) He's also off balance, so the right leg has been moved to compensate, as well as a tiny shift in the left one as well, since the angle was wrong in that position.

I'll add more if I spot something else. Great work so far though.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:50:34 pm
snake's edit:

my edit:

My edit uses 16 colors and I don't think it loses a lot of detail or information. Which colors I grouped in together you can find out by checking it in your pixel art program, fool. Generally, you have some dark colors that are near-identical to the eye, also you use colors for a few pixels in accessories that you could borrow from your straight ramps. Generally, colors are the one side of pixel art I'd urge you to look into more.

There's numerous little pixel art edits, most of which are nitpicks, but perhaps you'll gain something by looking at the differences.

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 01:32:14 pm
Nice edit you have! )) Some words to you: about ribcage and big form of right legs (where sheath) - from behind small items of sheath you lose big form and legs ih there some flat.
Also maybe about left arm - green line right position, purple your's, if I not be mistaken  :blind:

For balance - you original image is more right, in my opinion. Just left legs maybe stand not on surface (up toe)...

:y: :y: :y:

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 07:07:08 am
Thanks for a feedback, guys.

dragonrc, thanks for edit.

yosh64, yeah, that's true. Sometimes a short nap solves some issues. Last night flash shades look either dirty or burning and just cant find reasonable middle point in saturation, today somehow it looks not that critical.

zeid, agree on sword thing - should deal with readability as well, thanks.

snake, good points, though i meant him standing leaning on one leg to support shield weight, looks like i didn't get it right  - probably should repose it and fix overall dynamic. Thanks.

Helm, thanks - I'd say that's valid suggestions, I'll look at your edit closer.

mangust, thanks for the points. Don't quite get about big form stuff, but I'm going to fix his pose as soon as my clients get off my tail.=)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 12:52:02 pm
Quick edit ona pose. (didn't work on colors yet=) is that any better?