AuthorTopic: Plate Armor Guy  (Read 8295 times)

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Plate Armor Guy

on: October 18, 2005, 03:28:58 pm

I did my best to make this look more finished and cleaned than my previous work.  He started out as a generic looking warrior guy then I decided to give the armor a more insect like look. C+C is appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 11:43:28 am by MadToaster »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: Plate Armor Guy

Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 05:10:53 pm
The design is good. I like the bug theme you intended. The outlines are crusty, however. Do a bit of cleanup and find more pixel-friendly lines. The feet look squished/stretched. How about a highlight along the top of the shield?? Pretty good AA detail in the work, and the speculars are a nice touch. Just clean up your lines, and animate it please. :)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 09:17:17 pm
Wow, lovin' this, too. The highlights on his right leg and arm look incorrect for the light source. I also think the near static hue for the green isn't working well IMO, you'd be better off with some more hue-shifting. Could look better if your skin shadow had more of a red tinge to it to complement better with the green. Same goes for the sword, maybe make it a near whitish-green for the highlight, with a deep red for the shadow.

Offline Naso

• ...?
    • View Profile
    • My PixelJoint

Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 09:30:38 pm
this is very nice and yes it dose have nice AA i didn't notice it until i zoomed in lol
but what i think will make this look really sweet if is you make the armor more metal like
thats all i have to say =D , i love the chibi-ness of this =P

Cheese Cake -naso

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 11:14:16 pm
that is very nice. the way his pose was brought out makes me want to animate him, it is quite enlightning.

yes, it is true, it looks very rough. but if I was you, I wouldnt completly smooth out his outlines like everyone suggested, I think that sort of crustyness to the outlines kind of adds to his character and makes him look a bit sloppy and kinda lazy (as a character), I would barely have the outlines that cross trough the highlighted parts lit up just like solid colors, but not really AA every edge to death.

spend more time enriching the actual content, the shading of his armor and his sword.......that sword does need it's own outline shade though.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 01:50:35 am
this is still wip right, and you're going to finish the colors and stuff, make it more complete right?
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 02:03:10 am
I agree about the lines looking crusty.  I've been a Line art guy since forever so I think it gives me the bad habit of laying them in too thick, giving it a coloring book look.

...you're going to finish the colors and stuff, make it more complete right?

Yeah, I'm really trying to get over myself and improve so I'm gonna look at other pixel art that inspires me and figure out how to make this look more finished.  ;D
I got the design and the cool pose stuff down, it's time to work on the weak spots.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 02:54:40 am
I say keep the rigged lines, I LOVE IT. My only suggestion would be to add more colors; not severely different, just to add variation/completion.
@darionmccoy

Offline MadToaster

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 11:50:24 am

It's weird how you can decide your work is an 8 out of 10 then you realize what you think is a 10 is really a 5.  :P  I think this looks better. I widened the range of color intensity and added some inbetween colors where it was much needed. Also made some changes to the design. More criticism please.

Edit:
I added the original sprite that I did a few months ago for comparison.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 12:47:18 pm by MadToaster »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 12:34:28 pm

12 colours now. The skintones on the plate are more there to show usage of unified palette than it is actually a good idea on it's own. Tinted towards blue in shadow, and towards yellow in light to get an earthy range for bug armor. You're not using enough contrast ( for game art. For general sprite art do whatever you want ) and enough segregation of the parts. I still think your outlines need to be cleaned and also lightsource dependant.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 12:36:48 pm by Helm »