AuthorTopic: Mock Up - Rainbow Fist...  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Mock Up - Rainbow Fist...

on: April 07, 2007, 02:37:54 pm
Not posted anything on here for ages, too much real life work!

Anyway heres a little mock up of an idea for colour based scrolling beat-em-up I've been toying with.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Re: Mock Up - Rainbow Fist...

Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 03:06:02 pm
Love the idea. Very colourfull.

Are you aiming at a correct perspective on the water, or something more abstract? If the ground is the same level as the water, the size of the boat doesn't make sense, even if they're on top of a cliff, you would have to adjust the angle of the boat as you can see a lot of the roof right now.

The peaks on the mountains could use some AA, and the clouds have 3 extra AA colours I can hardly see.

I guess the thing I notice the most though is the powerbar. If this were a game, I'd have problems reading what it says. The bars blend with he metal outlining and the hard to read numbers cover it up. I like the smooth road, but the plants make me wonder what it would look like with some texture. The main characters left arm blends with his scarf a bit, maybe by giving it some more volume would help, though animation should fix that.

Just wondering... Is there some Viewtifull Joe inspiration in here? I see: a cool concept, hero with scarf and gassmask badguys with stripes. Great stuff none the less. I'd play it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 05:38:46 pm
You need to look at the AA on your title logo, it needs a lot of that. The few places it has AA, it looks wrong.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 05:51:48 pm
on the HUD, 'fist type' is a little hard to read, and the gradients on the mountains bug me...usually mountains that far away and that big are lighter near the bottom, and darker near the top (or at the very least the bright sky makes it appear that way): http://www.virtualblueridge.com/photojournal/2006/04/images/large/4-004.jpg  Snake's boat perspective crit stands for me as well.  Otherwise it looks like a friggin blast :D  oh and some isolated patches of additional ground detail (pebbles, cracks) might be a nice complement to the plants.

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 06:27:13 pm
Cheers guys.

I will attempt some ground details at some point. I've just had this game idea rattling around in my head for ages now and it suddenly burst out today hence this mock up, I kind of did it in a pixeling fury. Now it's out there I can start to refine it a little.

Offline Grindie

• View Profile
    • Perfect Run

Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 07:45:16 pm
I think it looks perfect. Just 2 issues: The perspective on the ship. I think you should change it to a side-on view instead of isometric. It would look like it's further away then. And, as someone's already mentioned, the HUD is very confusing.

I think everything else is perfect. You don't need AA on the mountains. It's nice n' simple like this. I really hate how people here ram AA down everyone's throats. Sometimes you don't need to add detail for detail's sake y'know.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 09:09:37 pm
Are you aiming at a correct perspective on the water, or something more abstract? If the ground is the same level as the water, the size of the boat doesn't make sense, even if they're on top of a cliff, you would have to adjust the angle of the boat as you can see a lot of the roof right now.

Also, the AA comments are based more on the fact that there is AA on a lot of the foreground objects and characters already, and even on some of the background objects, like the clouds.  It's not ramming AA down other people's throats - its a comment on stylistic inconsistency.  Personally, I don't mind the inconsistency in this piece, but it IS there, and it doesn't hurt to notify the artist in case he missed it.

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 11:34:42 pm
But what nobody noticed is the windows on the 2nd set of buildings have been moved down, I had em on a separate pshop layer which I must of shifted down by accident, shall fix tomorrow.

yosh64

Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 03:38:22 am
hey

@Tinygiant: Hehe, before I read your last message I was thinking the reflections of the windows in the water looked a little odd :). But yea, I see this is cause you need to move those windows back up.

Anyhows nice work!

cyas