AuthorTopic: Naked male sprite  (Read 8640 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Naked male sprite

on: April 05, 2007, 10:02:49 pm

This is a test for a template I'm going to animate. C+C appreciated...
It's based on a style test: http://www.game-designer.org/projects/blossomsoft/WL/new/

I won't change the palette, I know it's too light and contrast less, but that's a stylistic choice. As you can see in the style test, the clothing will be darker to balance it out.

Latest:

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 05:27:25 pm by Gil »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Naked male sprite

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 10:55:53 pm
Abdomen's too thin. Makes the pecs stand out as breasty and the hips look wider than they are, thus resulting in a very feminine appearance. the head is also off-center.
The wrists look weird with that 2 px outline on them. I'd say make that part thinner. They also look like they're segmented from the rest of the arm.
Otherwise nice. I look forward to more anims in the style of that other dude. (whom I really really like)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 11:32:03 pm
Thanks for the comment! You were right on the abdomen. A pixel seems to fix it.

I like the wrists like that, even if it's slightly weird. Artistic freedom I guess  :). Removing those two pixels fixes it though, so I can always change it if I want...
And yeah, the head is off center, not much I can do about that, unless I change the head design, which I won't.

Update?

Edit:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:25:25 am by Gil »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 02:48:55 am
Awesome....but jeez, man, that off-center head is buggin' the crap outta me! Could you at least give him some side-to-side head motion? It looks like he's got a cramp in his neck.
On the new anim: I think the thighs are much too big. Looks like a chicken or ostrich or something. Especially if you're gonna be adding clothes. Looks like he's already got some skin-colored shorts on.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 02:56:10 am
You're right of course, I'll fix it later. Hmm, I might try the head bob.

Legs fixed?

Edit: redid the head to fit...

« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 04:06:16 am by Gil »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 04:58:01 am
Yeah, much better, methinks. Just one more thing - the way those 2 shadow pixels on either side of the neck/chin never change. I think of them as the neck, but they don't move like I'd expect a neck to.
I see why you didn't want to change the head (it lost the egg shape)...but I think they both look cool, and the centered head would work better.

Offline kakikukeko

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 09:37:34 am
No crit from me, looks pretty good.. much better now... I would have liked to see how looks the head bob tho  :)
good job.. what is it for? Will he stay naked?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 12:42:19 pm

Hmm, the animation looks fairly smooth. However, the walk cycle isn't reading too well. Unless every character that uses this template is an old style war veteran, I'd suggest taking a look at the animation one more time. It looks as if he is marching/stomping intead of walking. The dramatic rotating arms, and robotic stiffness of the head also add to this strange motion. I think the reason for the marching illusion may be due to the fact that when he raises his legs, the area beneath the knees(shins and so forth) stay darkened, while light shines of his knees. If he was walking normally, wouldn't those portions of the leg light up? Again, if this was intended, then it's fine. However, if it is indeed a normal walk cycle, it's not exactly fitting...
   Still, these are looking great. Are you making attack animations also, or just the test walk cycles?
my back hurts...

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 01:10:34 pm
Attack animations too. And then a bunch of others, like sitting down, kneeling, getting hurt and running I guess...

Yeah, he's stomping a little, we don't actually lift our feet when we walk. Perhaps I'll do a lighter version later... I dunno, it'll probably look weird on clerics...

New side walking animation... This was hell to make...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:27:45 pm by Gil »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 06:43:53 pm
The legs on the side animation look good, the feet seem to get smaller as he pushes them forward, however.

The arms are really distracting, since he keeps his arms bent and he seems to be pushing his forearms forward instead of letting them hang and swing.  He should be more relaxed, with less concentration on the shoulder action, I think.