AuthorTopic: 300 mockups  (Read 4592 times)

Offline snader

• View Profile

300 mockups

on: April 05, 2007, 08:02:48 pm
no, not 300 mockups, you silly person. mockups of 300 =P

for my portfolio i wanna do some mockups, and i wanted to start with a 300 fighting, DS game
this will me the menu, i feel about the anatomy though =(

the second image is going to be a game over screen, but i like the feel of the whole image a lot more, i think i'm going to redo the titlescreen to have the same sky, and have leonidas face an immortal, like a stand off..
i personally feel the titlescreen as is feels too much like some runescape thing. =/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:58:49 am by snader »

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: 300 mockups

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:15:29 pm
   Anatomy is an issue. But first, the background looks icky. It looks as if you used some type of MSpaint spray paint tool. I personally never use it, and have never found it useful...ever( too noisy, too random for my tastes). If dots are what you are looking for, why not invest it in some nice, clean dithering, instead?
   The anatomy is still off. His head looks strange, as his eyes are huge and lower than the average, invisible plane that most human eyes rest on. Also, his body seems fairly square. Take a look at your own body in the mirror, notice that even men have curves, no matter how beefy they are ( don't think highly of you physical state my friend, I'm speaking in general terms of male anatomy, heh...). I would also not try to make each individual abdomen muscle and pec an exact geometric block. Once again, we are human, and symmetry isn't that natural (most of the time...) with most muscle groupings (that is unless your a very good body builder who knows exactly how many reps his body needs to be symmetrical, which is one of the things that judges look for in body building comps...which further explains that symmetry isn't found naturally most of the time...) Not to mention, his forearm is fairly long. Longer than normal, actually. And it looks as if the wrist band is breaking, or bending his wrist bone. Light source is ok at the moment. However, his hair seems to be missing some of the reflecting light though.
   Whelp, this still seems to be in the rough stages of development, so I'll crit later on when improvements are made. Good luck!
my back hurts...

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:00:44 pm

the godawful spraypaint sky is just temporary, i used it to get a quick idea of how i wanted the clouds

worked on the head a bit more, dont like his mouth yet, will work on that more. do like how the  hair glow looks so far
i hope i fixed a large portion of the anatomy problems (man what was i thinking that first draft >_<) and i added some more light
allso did a teensy bit on the russoundings (with REAL dither, yey =P)

i decided to leave the spear out for a while, till i get the water done, and i know where exactly the spear will go.
allso, do you guys think there will b enough space in the top screen for menu buttons?
i will work on the surroundings a bit more now, adding some things, and then i'm going to bed i think =3

Offline eck

• But why is RUM gone???
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:30:20 pm
i called dibs on this idea a while ago :hehe:

thats alright, ill just have to make mine that much better  ;)

few cirts-

-if theres no credits, logo should be centered
-red in the logo is to light and grayed out
-leonidis needs a beard
-the water doesnt even resemble water.  i understand this is going to be defined more, but seriously, as of now, it looks terrible.

good luck with your game, im looking forward to seeing what my game will have to beat.  if you are interested, i would love to work with you on something like this, but as thats probably not goina happen, ill just leave it as 'good luck'.
untz untz untz?

Offline snader

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 11:02:08 am
there wont be credits, but menu options, like new, game load game etc.
i feared something about the logo yes, because i tried to keep away from the pure mspaint red =/

and it's not going to be a game, but merely some mockups. i currently neither have the time nor the coder to complete a game..

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 02:51:07 pm
i think it's because the mouth is too low. it loloks pretty good blocked out so far though. the colors for the sky aren't looking too promising right now, but that's changeable.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 06:40:43 pm
i dislike the pallette completely. i think you should be more faithful to the drab, rusty pallette of the movie that was used to make it look like you were really in the times.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 09:40:27 pm
Yeah. And you could also go straight to the source and check out Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's work on the g.novel, also good for inspiration and mood.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 07:13:47 am
   If you were going for some likeness of Leonidas's character, you may be a little off. I decided to try an edit to gain some more anatomically correct proportions (although, it's by no means a perfect form of anatomy...).

Your Spartan had a white man fro' growing. His eyes looked a bit wonky, as did some portions of his face. Also, the alignment of his arms, and shoulders really confused me. It almost looked as if his head was fused on to his right trapezoid muscle. This might be due to the large view of his left pectoral muscle(booby muscle). I didn't exactly change the palette, but would suggest to add a couple more skin like tones in their (maybe some dull greens, reflected off of the sea..) About 2 or 3 extra colors should be about enough. That's all I have to say for now...

(by the by, did anyone else notice in the 300 movie, that King Leonidas had an extremely large rat tail braid wrapped around his head? I didn't notice it at first, due to his dark hair, but did later on towards the rotating close up at the end of the film.)
my back hurts...

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 10:26:52 am
REALLY nice edit.. good work. I like how the old skin palette was removed and how the muscles were corrected. looks great. :) tho his face looks really glossy now :) like he's made outta plastic or so. and did he have a scar above his left eye?
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube