AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Snake!  (Read 88571 times)

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Snake!

Reply #90 on: April 24, 2007, 12:35:18 pm
I got an idea for the elimination round, everyone can sign up. Then after 1-2 weeks the signup closes and there will be 2 very different challeges. So something like: everyone should make a monster and a tileset. Then the 32 best can go to the real pixelator.

I like the idea that it would be better if there were no 1vs1 battles, just everyone vs everyone and the best can move on to the next round. I think it would be good if the ones with the  most points can move on. And you get points by something like this:
originality: 10
following the rules: 5
color choices: 20
overall look: 30
improvement since last round: 20
ect.
This would also be good for the one that made the piece because then you will see your weaker points that need improvement

And the team idea rocks! I can already see it, many teams with each 3 people in it making a big collabration scratch that

I think it would be good doing something different than the last pixelator.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:14:35 pm by dragonrc »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #91 on: April 24, 2007, 12:39:46 pm
a team challenge would be totally separate.  the judges would have no way of knowing who did wat in each team, therefore leading to unfair results.  What is snake and buloght were in a team with tomster and someother kids.  They might advance through instead of better contestants.

A teamed challenge would be a totally separate event.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #92 on: April 24, 2007, 02:51:25 pm
Also, I don't think there should be any bannination punishment for failing to submit. The guilt and disqualification should be enough. (You can tell people felt guilty when they didn't get it in on time). Plus, I mean, life happens. It can look peachy-keen one minute, and you think you have a free month, but then WHAM! Family issues, or computer crash, or someone asks you to marry them, or you get an unforeseen, heavy workload.

Pixelator isn't just a social event. It should build pixel skills otherwise we're cutting it off. This isn't a place to have fun with your mates FOREMOST. It's a place of learning. And one of the things people that want to participate in something must learn, is punctuality and responsibility. If any of you mean to get jobs as pixel artists later on you can't just drop deadlines just becase. Obviously good excuses will be taken into account, and that along with a 'twice in a row' rule will take care of most people not to get banned. But banned some need to be, just to get it through they heads that when you say 'I will do this' then you do it.

If you are not sure you can do something, don't commit. It was embarassing for all how many people dropped out last round. Some people like Mirre hardly went up against anyone until the finals, and even then when she got a job and everything she still submitted something.

I know from Secret Santa that a lot of people here have severe motivation problems. They should not be joining Pixelator or other such activities or they will find themselves banned.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: April 24, 2007, 03:15:41 pm
I support the banning.
It does sound harsh, but if you are going to do something, you should give all you can to it, whatever it takes (even if it means you have to meet loose deadlines :P). You should charge onto it at full power. If you can't, just don't participate and leave your place for someone else. I don't think it is hard to understand.
It is shameful that so many people had to get banned for the Secret Santa (not to mention that NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM made a present afterwards), try not to make it happen with the pixelator.
If you are going to half ass it, don't even think of participating.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: April 24, 2007, 04:37:07 pm
I'm of two minds on the banning issue.  I see why you'd want to do it, and a good work ethic is a good thing to have, but that's not what I'm here for.  I'm here to learn good pixelating techniques and to see what I can accomplish.  I would love to enter the next time around, but if there's going to be banning for not turning something in, I wouldn't be entering, and I wouldn't be able to see if I could do it.  This is because I have some health problems, and I think my health is way more important than a contest.  Now I know that most people don't have my issues, but there are a lot of other good reasons people might not make it that week.  For instance, a real job that pays for the rent makes you do overtime that whole week.  I think that takes precedence too.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #95 on: April 24, 2007, 04:54:24 pm
   I'm totally not for the banning part. At least, not so damn long. However, if these are the rules when the next Pixelator comes, I'll just suck it up, and still participate. I've vengeance in my heart, and shall stop at nothing till I quench my thirst.
   Also, if indeed this ban rule is put into effect, I think it would honestly be fair to have those who enforce them, participate within the tourney, and instead of judging, the winner would be decided by each user vote, kind of like Conceptart.org's C.O.W., or C.H.O.W., or whatever.
my back hurts...

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #96 on: April 24, 2007, 07:03:40 pm

Pixelator isn't just a social event. It should build pixel skills otherwise we're cutting it off. This isn't a place to have fun with your mates FOREMOST. It's a place of learning.

WOAH - not expecting that.  Art is fun, yeah its good to learn along the way but you seem to see this forum as a place of "learning only".  By banning people you are only pushing them away and therefore defeating your point of a learning community.

I signed up for the pixelator for fun, if i new i would be banned as a result of going into hospital, being overloaded with work and other un-forseeable events etc... i wouldnt sign up, thus reducing the learning i might have found in the initial rounds.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #97 on: April 24, 2007, 07:05:08 pm
Nobody's stopping you from doing the pixelator rounds outside the contest if you want. Responsibility is important.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: April 24, 2007, 08:05:08 pm
I agree with helm here, a two week ban is reasonable. It will scare off the people who sign up thinking 'maybe I'll find the time to do something for the first round'. Those people shouldn't sign up, they can make something if they want outside the contest.
Pixelator should be a competition for people who really want to make something each round for fun or to improve theirselves and if someone doesn't feel like making an entry every round they shouldn't sign up because many other people are willing to do so and they deserve that place in pixelator.
But if someone has a valid reason for making nothing I think he/she should not be banned, but if it happens again they should, valid reason or not.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #99 on: April 24, 2007, 09:39:00 pm
In a similar contest I participated in last year there were 51 participants, with only two people who did not deliver in time throughout the whole tournament, with one week time for each round. It was understood that people who knew that they might not have time for it would not sign up in the first place. The banning shouldn't make a difference anyway, it's just to ensure that anybody actually thinks about whether he or she can really sign up. I think as a regular student, time really isn't an issue, unless you're having your finals or are in the course of graduating at that moment.

Anyway, I think we should give Pixelator a break for a while now, and have a couple of open-for-all challenges in the meantime.