AuthorTopic: Pixelator: Snake!  (Read 88553 times)

Offline Mixel

• View Profile

Re: Pixelator: Final (ENTRIES)

Reply #40 on: April 18, 2007, 03:49:58 am
Snake's is incredible! Woah. That would be such a strange game. Mirre's looks great too, but the unfinished thing. The sprites are super cute.

I don't think Snake's is *that* unreadable.. If it was a game and everything was parallax scrolled it'd be much clearer.. I don't know if "but if it was a game-" is taken into consideration though.

Congrats everyone, including the people who didn't get this far.. I wasn't around to say anything earlier. The character design bits were super interesting.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #41 on: April 18, 2007, 04:53:49 am
a little bit of saturation on snake's sprites could go a long way to helping them stand out. Everything is just so busy and insane it sort of clashes and makes things hard to follow. Still very impressive, though.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #42 on: April 18, 2007, 04:59:54 am
If I were a judge, and if Mirre'd finished hers, I'd give her the win most definitely.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #43 on: April 18, 2007, 05:15:17 am
Too bad snake's background was so highly detailed with such high contrast.  I would be able to read it much better without it.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: April 18, 2007, 05:27:12 am
I really think it's a shame that Mirre had so much going on. It's obvious how far from completion hers is, and it appears that she was less ambitious than she would have been had she not been so busy.

At the same time, our hats should go off to Snake for producing such a detailed entry within the limited timeframe.
Could you post the seperate layers of yours? There's so much going on that it's hard to appreciate the individual parts of the image.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: April 18, 2007, 07:05:08 am
Whoa snake first I was thinking that pot dancer was summoning the tornado to crush the giant closet monster in the background.
Then I saw that she was turned towards the viewer and punching and after that I noticed that the closet monster was standing on a platform.
You should have sepperated the different depth layers a bit more, making the characters and the foreground darker would have helped.
That game would be the hell to play but the pieces themselves look awesome-as usual.

As a contrast Mirres entry is very easy to read.
If only it wasn't that bare and WIP-ish it certainly would have good chances to win imho.

Will there be an extra round for the third place?
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #46 on: April 18, 2007, 10:54:06 am
Snake! what happened? SNAAAKE?  SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEEEE!

GAME OVER

:lol:

all you had to do is use darker colors than those of the sky, why wouldnt you? and with all that vericality of the ISO I expected a platformer (didnt the EWJ screen maps hint u of anything? :P)....=/ hm you must've been overwhelmed by the concept of mashing so many things together.........Collosal Katamari works so much much better as a mockup! I am astounded by the complete lack of action in both screens, whole point of mockups is to see the characters in action within a background!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 01:53:06 pm by Conceit »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: April 18, 2007, 11:31:41 am
I'm very sorry to hear that people find my entry diffecult to read. I just didn't have the time to test it properly. The piece was made during the last 3 or 4 days on top of two projects for my job I had to take care of during the weekend. The sprites were made on monday night, so things just barely went together as it is.

I know it's not possible to show in a still frame, but my plan was to utelize the same idea that the creators of Yoshi's Island did: Make sense of perspective with the use of paralax backgrounds. Here's a quick example of how I'd picture it in working order:

It is hard to read though, so I'll take that into account. I would have fixed it if I had the time for it, I reckon I'll be able to work on it some more later on.

Mirre: Looking good. The sprites look very well made and you've managed to make the monster feel just like it's large version. It's really a shame you weren't able to finish it properly. There's a lot of potential here. You plan on finishing it later?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 12:47:06 pm
Snake wins because Mirre's is unfinished most of all.

Snake's is very good bit by bit, but doesn't read well, parallax or no parallax. Things further back need less detail, things closer need more detail. 'Active' playing platforms need more vibrant colors, backdrops less, characters need their own palettes to keep them separated from the other layers... generally, a good piece of baroque art perhaps, not a good game mockup. This doesn't negate the expert pixelling on display of course, but a mockup if most of all a mockup for a game.

If Mirre had had finished hers a lot of you would have been surprised by the results.

edit: fast and dirty explanation of the concept:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 12:55:07 pm by Helm »

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 01:09:50 pm
2 really nice entries, to bad mirre couldn't finish it on time.
I also had the problem of the unreadability of Snakes entry but his entry makes much more sense in this image:

Good job of both of you for making all these wonderfull entries!