AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244045 times)

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #630 on: June 09, 2007, 06:47:30 pm
 :-[ :-[ :-[

wow how come i didnt think of that  :blind:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #631 on: June 09, 2007, 07:04:27 pm
The only fighting game I've ever been able to play seriously is Super Smash Bros; to me it does everything right.  Easy, context-sensitive controls, tons of action, and incredibly deep strategy; 3000 hours and we're still figuring out new combos and tactics!  It's like playing a multiplayer platformer and 4 games of street fighter at once, only you can still tell what's going on and execute pretty amazing strategies, AND you have more moves, even tho it uses half the buttons of a regular fighter.  Not to mention the whole "king of the mountain" style gameplay, versus the more traditional "you did X000 points of damage, so even if your last hit is a kick in the shin I still die" model.  If you want to "kill" someone in smash bros, your last hit has to be an awesome one!  no pinky toe kills here.
I quoth verbatim for 'tis true.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #632 on: June 09, 2007, 07:04:46 pm
I'd like to see a fighting game all goofy, with attacks that make you go WTF and laugh at the same time, with funky characters, and all sprinkled with neat and dynamic animations.
Screw serious ones, there are too many around already.
I think, perhaps, you're looking for something like this: Slap Happy Rhythm Busters ?
It's a decent fighter with a theme similar to Jet Set Radio's. It's hella expensive if you're hoping to get it legally, however...

Personally, I'm really tired of seeing fighting games progressing (or digressing?) to a point where first hit = win. By that, I'm referring to combofests, with the recent Hokuto no Ken fighter being a very blatant example of this. I guess a good thing the game managed to do was reflect the insanity of the anime and manga series well enough, at least. Don't get me wrong, I love combos, and I love trying to find broken ones, at that. The problem is that there comes a point where it's just too much and it ruins the competitive aspect of a fighter. I'm with the others in favor of a 'down to Earth' fighter. I think it'd be interesting to see something that completely realistically simulates a fight, even more so than Virtua Fighter.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:30:43 am by Khris »

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #633 on: June 09, 2007, 07:52:00 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZswhnKKzCUw
It's funny how many people don't realize how simple this is :P

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #634 on: June 09, 2007, 08:05:16 pm

If you want to see some real LEGO action though, this guy is my fav: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44124312001@N01/

That..is.....AWESOME!!!!!! I used to be real into lego..but I lost all my small peices, and now I am left with 100000 uselss peices (they are all those really long, flat peices, which are useless for sculpture without other peices)...I miss mah legos :'(
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #635 on: June 10, 2007, 01:50:28 am
Design an esoteric series of loghouses for midgets malor!

Mommy gave my lego to some kid i've met ONCE.  ???
and only because he needed me to carry MY bucket of lego upstairs to his mom's car for him  :mean:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #636 on: June 10, 2007, 02:04:17 am
Reminds me of the kid I gave my action figures to. I told him that if he would fuck up any piece I would totally take them all back, and that I would check again in three weeks. He protected the damn things with his life, so I gave them to him.

Another month later I came in his home and found some broken legs and arms behind a couch. Those were my damn action figures in good state he messed up. This is the reason I will never give up my old worn and broken Thundercats, those things have more than sentimental value to me...

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #637 on: June 10, 2007, 08:05:53 am
You definately should have taken it all back :'(

Offline Presley

• View Profile

Reply #638 on: June 10, 2007, 10:57:17 am
Hey guys, is this interlaced dithering? I've been wondering about the technique for a while now and thought I might give it a try. Sorry if it's way off.

Gil, the same happened to my old skates I gave to a neighbourhood kid. It really bugged me because I learnt to makio on those old salos. D:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #639 on: June 10, 2007, 11:07:59 am
interlaced dithering?  that's it, yup

i never got big in to action figures, although i had dozens of old transformers.  Lego was my thing, totally still have like 9 buckets.  My dad even has some from when he was a kid in the 60s

you have to specific what the peoples depths are at each point to see if its behind the building or in front then you have to make a mask for collision checking.
not typically a problem for isometric engines, since it's a prerequisit, however, if you are using GM, it tends to lag like a bitch, making the game unplayable.  it's rather sad.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.