AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243997 times)

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #620 on: June 09, 2007, 12:31:12 pm
eh, didn't keep millions of people from playing & loving the games though. :)
Seriously though, and some of you may hate me for saying this... but I think the SF series and other fighting games were mediocre compared to MK, at least those 3 games I listed above. That's just my opinion though.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 12:33:46 pm by Snippa »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #621 on: June 09, 2007, 12:49:02 pm
Go Chambers of Shaolin! That was a good fighting game on the amiga. No fire balls, only 8 or so moves. Down to earth game except for last level (had dragons). IK+ was good too but
I wish the version i had had a mode where there was only two people fighting, not three.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #622 on: June 09, 2007, 01:29:10 pm
Any fighting game that doesn't let me pull off a move consistently from the first try if I know the buttons is not doing it for me...

I need to be able to do it casually, because I hate spending three days trying to figure out the moves. Virtua Fighter 4 was pretty great in that aspect if I remember well.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #623 on: June 09, 2007, 01:40:12 pm
Anyone know of any game engines Like game maker but can actually support isometric? becuase gamemaker would be way to hard for isometric.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #624 on: June 09, 2007, 02:46:19 pm
thankyou for all your input everybody, it helps alot. if/ when i start making art for it ill be sure to show.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #625 on: June 09, 2007, 03:29:22 pm
The only fighting game I've ever been able to play seriously is Super Smash Bros; to me it does everything right.  Easy, context-sensitive controls, tons of action, and incredibly deep strategy; 3000 hours and we're still figuring out new combos and tactics!  It's like playing a multiplayer platformer and 4 games of street fighter at once, only you can still tell what's going on and execute pretty amazing strategies, AND you have more moves, even tho it uses half the buttons of a regular fighter.  Not to mention the whole "king of the mountain" style gameplay, versus the more traditional "you did X000 points of damage, so even if your last hit is a kick in the shin I still die" model.  If you want to "kill" someone in smash bros, your last hit has to be an awesome one!  no pinky toe kills here.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #626 on: June 09, 2007, 04:55:21 pm
Anyone know of any game engines Like game maker but can actually support isometric? becuase gamemaker would be way to hard for isometric.
Actually, Game maker does support isometric. It can let sprites move diagonal and it lets you tile isometric.
To tile isometric tiles you only have to click one button:

You should use a normal size for your tiles (for example: 32x16) because it will act strange when you insert unusuall numbers like 41x21.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #627 on: June 09, 2007, 04:57:52 pm
game maker finds isometrics very difficult to deal with for calculations of angle and distance; that's the main trouble people have with it.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Reply #628 on: June 09, 2007, 05:13:31 pm
the only reason i said "It doesnt support it" is becuase you have to specifi what the peoples depths are at each point to see if its behind the building or in front then you have to make a mask for collision checking.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #629 on: June 09, 2007, 06:41:59 pm
Oh come on.
Set depth=-y, set the origins of all sprites to the lowest middle point and use a diamond shaped mask for the collisions.
Gamemaker already makes things easy enough.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix