AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243924 times)

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #610 on: June 09, 2007, 03:59:20 am
Alot of the programmers I know started in the teens with VB.
The real good ones moved on to working with C++ & C# mainly, most of them have also made themselves very familiar with several ways of coding for websites... Perl, PHP, etc.
I started around 16/17, though I don't consider myself skilled, I haven't put the time and effort into it.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #611 on: June 09, 2007, 04:31:02 am
I started REALLY programming (not counting little bits of QBASIC here and there) freshman year of college, so I guess I was 18?  So I've been coding for 7 years now, give or take a few months.  I started with C++; my big motivation was to make games, and no matter how shitty my professors and instructors were I was gonna learn it :)  it worked, I make like $50/hr freelancing now!  Not allowed to say what I'm workin on tho...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #612 on: June 09, 2007, 06:55:53 am
if i were to make a figting game, with intent to sell, what would make a fighting game for you? what do you want to see in one? what would make it fun?
thanksies in advance.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #613 on: June 09, 2007, 07:25:36 am
Any thing NOT close to Mortal Kombat ( Way to massacre a great gaming genre, Midway...literally.)

In my opinion, a good Fighting game needs balance. Enough for each character to have pros and cons over each other, but not to the point where each are basically clones of each other, in different costumes. Some games suffer from over powered characters***cough**Ryu*Ken*Akuma*KOF bosses*** that make it damn near impossible for the really unique characters to even pose a challenge.
   Intricate combos, and versatility to use and mix them with other signature moves, are definitely key. No button mashers though. But not too precise, where game play feels stiff.
   Interactive backgrounds, that literally make or break a characters preset game plan or strategy. I'm not talking shitty break away objects that are just fixture, or eye candy. I'm talking, textures that slow the quickest character down, to make him rethink his machine gun tactics, or confined areas that force larger characters stray away from the poking game. Down hill, uphill, gravity, FUKKIN' physics, here people.
   And for craps sake, a BELIEVABLE STORY LINE!!!! Far too long, I've been reading and seeing these fictional stories, that practically become ridiculous by the end of it's run.  And please...stop with the anime, already. Why not adopt a new art style, for a change?

I just basically gave you a run down of what MY fictional fighting game is practically about. Though at the moment, I'm still building on the story portion, as it's utterly farked, plot-wise(trying to interwine as best as possible.) There's more, and I could go on, but it's past my beddy time...plus I'm trying to actually finish a big pixel art piece for once. (trying to go it alone, without any critiques as an experiment...)
my back hurts...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #614 on: June 09, 2007, 07:27:17 am
if i were to make a figting game, with intent to sell, what would make a fighting game for you? what do you want to see in one? what would make it fun?
thanksies in advance.
balance is the most important thing.
as much as I love third strike, it's annoying when someone goes Akuma, I have to focus twice as much on parrying moves.

and i guess whats commonly referred to as play control, double tap to dash forward/backward, down-up to super jump, fake attacks etc, lots of optional little alternative moves that can help people develop different styles even with the same character
man, working on a fighting game would be a nightmare :P

edit-
oh and a kaepora style fighter, would make for some really impressive animations too ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 09:03:22 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #615 on: June 09, 2007, 08:55:36 am
thanksies in advance.

I'd like to see slightly down-to-earth 2D fighting game without fireballs and things, with more combos and a vast variety of characters totally different from each other. Also combos that have inputs that resemble the actual move. I think this was achieved well in DOA series. I liked limbs attached to buttons thing in Tekken too. X left hand, Y Right hand, A left leg, B right leg. Makes combos easier to do if you remember how they look in motion rather than what the button combination was.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #616 on: June 09, 2007, 09:16:11 am

haha, I suppose she had at least one talent :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #617 on: June 09, 2007, 09:52:51 am
thanksies in advance.

I'd like to see a fighting game all goofy, with attacks that make you go WTF and laugh at the same time, with funky characters, and all sprinkled with neat and dynamic animations.
Screw serious ones, there are too many around already.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #618 on: June 09, 2007, 12:12:56 pm
Any thing NOT close to Mortal Kombat ( Way to massacre a great gaming genre, Midway...literally.)
Hopefully you're talking about AFTER mk3, umk3, and mkt...
Those 3 were the best mortal kombat games in my opinion.

Ermac for the win. :P
I miss playing MKT :( I need to get some new n64 controllers somehow.

The only thing I didn't like so much about mortal kombat was how difficult it was to pull off combos, Killer Instinct was so much easier for combos... maybe too easy lol

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #619 on: June 09, 2007, 12:14:20 pm
The MK games were not awful, they were... mediocre. But their effect on the industry and genre was thoroughly negative.