AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 244076 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #590 on: June 05, 2007, 09:24:50 pm
We don't know everybody's take, nor can we predict it. I'm sure Tim Burton heard 'learn anatomy' a million times, and he still did what he thought he should. Nobody suffers because we tell them avenues in which they could go to become better. If someone here posts something with bad anatomy, I will give them an anatomy crit. If they blatantly disregard this critique, hey, no biggie, obviously they are not interested in good anatomy. I learnt from trying to help them anyway.

'better' is a lot of things, one goes through a list of them, exhausting them, trying to hit on things that they feel matter. The artist takes from this whatever they desire. You're not honor-bound to take the critique that people give you. It doesn't smother your individuality to hear things you disagree with, nor does it do anything but help you to have to critically assess points of view that differ from yours. In thinking 'okay this guy says I need to learn anatomy, but I don't want to for reason x, y, z' you are progressing as an artist and as a person. If you want this to not happen, then I tell it you it never will go away as far as I'm part of pixelation. People here will get thrown at them all the steps in the 'how to become a pixel artist twelve step program' no matter who they are, as they apply to them. If they want to take something from that, good, if not, I'm sure they'll hear various highly personalized individual crits and nitpicks as they go, if they stick around and people start to come to terms with how they seem to want to work.

As to writing home about anatomy, what are you telling me? That because a lot of people are able to draw human anatomy semi-properly, I shouldn't be happy with myself when I manage this as well? And that I shouldn't try to help other people get there if they so desire? As I said before which you didn't comment on, the way I would draw a semi-correct anatomical human and the way another of these million of people you numbered would do it would be significantly different because people with traditional skill do not become clones of each other. Every piece of art is infused with the personality of their creator. Just because a lot of people have climbed a mountain doesn't mean I can take pleasure in my success when I reach the summit for myself, nor will I erect there the same flag that others did. On mine, there will be painted a pretty billy goat.

Plus, a lot of people here are trying to learn pixel art as an applied art medium. They want to get jobs, and make money from it. In this way, they *need* stuff like good anatomy and good color usage to get ahead in this field. Not everybody wants to make pixel art paintings for the sake of it, you know? Some people want to make game art.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:32:25 pm by Helm »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #591 on: June 05, 2007, 09:33:09 pm
I've seen very few instances on this forum in particular of people giving advice on anatomy that does not take the intended style fully into account.  Well-stylized designs are rarely critiqued for straying from strict anatomical perfection.  Poorly or senselessly stylized designs are frequently critiqued for anatomy because the stylization was NOT successful.  The end result is not pleasing, so the best advice is "this is what people actually look like".  That's not to say "this is what your art SHOULD look like," just that in stylizing there are certain aspects of proportionality and aesthetics present in good anatomy (and good stylization) that are lost in their work.

Basically, I see no reason to construe a critique of "you know, this is how people ACTUALLY look" as "this is how your art MUST look in order to be successful".  And I see no reason that edits and commentary about anatomy can not still be helpful for someone trying to create a stylized design.  An artist should be looking at edits and feedback, assessing what part of his artwork is clearly not working for a variety of peers, and try to address that in their own way.  If the critique is about jarring anatomy, then maybe they need to alter their anatomy to be more pleasing to the eye, which usually means having stronger ROOTS in real anatomy, regardless of the final product.

Did that make sense?

Offline Krut

• View Profile

Reply #592 on: June 05, 2007, 09:59:01 pm
You guys make good point, and please dont take as "this is what as a forum we should do", but like "this is what I the Krut-man is thinking when writing the first paragraph of a critique"...

Hah, the irony, in need C&C in my C&Cing methods.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #593 on: June 05, 2007, 10:18:26 pm
Nah I think it's a really important question, and it's a pretty important issue in art period.  Where do you draw the line between rules and creativity?  Limitations and freedom?  As for me, I'm just gonna complain when I think stuff looks bad :P

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #594 on: June 05, 2007, 10:55:36 pm
actually I think not having an avenue to complain makes you more willing to take things as they are. Meaning, if I had Gustav Klimt around on the forum asking for help, I probably would paint over The Kiss or something to give it a straighter spine or something, hah. As long as people ASK for help, it's one's duty to really exhaust his critical faculties and give crits and nitpicks even if they don't exactly DESTROY THE ART. Any thought is helpful, if someone is asking for thoughts.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #595 on: June 06, 2007, 12:55:44 am
I think that might be better posted in the Official OT Creativity Thread, instead of here...
my back hurts...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #596 on: June 06, 2007, 01:51:00 am
Any thought is helpful, if someone is asking for thoughts.
Hey, yeah. I like that.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #597 on: June 06, 2007, 07:46:40 am
Sometimes I get really bothered when people post 'wrong' so to speak, critique. Blatantly ignorant and in practise awful. Sometimes I post counter-critique, sometimes not. I believe in any way, the artist himself will benefit even from some bad critique because he's not supposed to be here doing whatever people tell him, but to test things out and choose for himself if a point is valid or not.

Offline Noveroth

• View Profile

Reply #598 on: June 07, 2007, 02:53:08 am
I definitely think that the appeal in Pokemon is that of a collector, I mean you go around capturing these little monster things, each one with its own different abilities and a huge variety of different moves, and each one has the capability of being BOSS with hard training. 

[geek]

Oh, IMO the best Pokemon games were:

Gold/Silver
+ An easy number of Pokemon to handle, much better graphics and so much cool stuff to do, plus when you beat one region, there's A WHOLE OTHER ONE.  That was kickass.
- OMG, that frickin' box system was so annoying to operate ("before withdrawing a Pokemon you need to save your game...there is already a save file, is it OK to overwrite?...SAVING, DON'T TURN OFF THE POWER...You saved the game." and over again)

FireRed/LeafGreen
+ All the simplicity of the originals, plus much better graphics/gameplay than those monstrosities, Ruby and Sapphire
- Eventually you trade with Ruby and Sapphire and HAVE TO GET ALL OF THOSE STUPID POKEMON!

FrLg had the EXACT same Gameplay as RSE... You realize this.. right?

Yes they did improve the graphics, but it's the exact same gameplay engine, else you wouldn't be able to play against someone with Ruby sapphire or emerald. They didn't change it until D/P

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #599 on: June 08, 2007, 02:52:23 am