AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243928 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #550 on: May 30, 2007, 06:52:51 pm
Off course they take money from you if you buy trading card games. I play Magic, but I barelly ever trade em, I only use em to play the actuall game.
I only trade something when I see something someone else has that I want in my deck. And that's occured about 3 times in 2 years.

If you only traded 3 cards in 2 years, you're probably playing very casual magic. When I was playing Magic (I have restarted it last month), we had to buy and trade cards every time a new expansion came out, which was 4 times a year. And we're talking about trading a total of 30 or 40 cards each time here. If you didn't do this, you were eaten alive by the decent decks.

Unless you played white wheenie with cheap cards like me. I have this cool deck that doubles in verocity each time one of the better cards comes into play. It also costs $20 to get all the cards...

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #551 on: May 30, 2007, 07:04:13 pm
The last game before this i played was red.
I bought pokemon because
- i was feeling a little nostalgic
- i liked red and felt there had been a significant enough change in the series (between pearl and red :P)
- i wanted to study some of the nice tiling and the interesting use of low poly 3d for the environments
- needed a feasable acchievement, which pokemon has lots of, not like those online korean days where it takes you days to level

bidoof, specifically its evolution bibarel is one of the most useful pokemon in pearl/diamond. Specifically since it can learn so many of the HMs they have now. I keep one with me always

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #552 on: May 30, 2007, 07:05:12 pm
I used to be more clever and con them out of people.  man has it really been 7 years since pokemon cards came out - i feel so old.

Heh, i taught my siblings (5 of them) to trade cards and make the ones i buy for them grow with interest. Since i provide for the whole bunch i'm kinda picky with the things i buy, so that's why i told them to come back with at least 2/1 ratio of valuable cards if i bought any. In the end we had over 600 cards with two extremely powerful decks with all the legendary pokemon and best trainers. I think i bought only a few starter decks and maybe 60€ worth of those smaller packs. All thanks to some salami slicing and always trading for just a tiiny bit better cards.

Froli, i'd feel like having a shot as well  :lol:

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #553 on: May 30, 2007, 07:31:19 pm
What a painful day for me, I'm mentally drained... I wish could drink alcohol with you guys.

imagine a pixelation gathering irl, where all the pixel folk could get smashed together from across the globe.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #554 on: May 30, 2007, 07:39:43 pm
Off course they take money from you if you buy trading card games. I play Magic, but I barelly ever trade em, I only use em to play the actuall game.
I only trade something when I see something someone else has that I want in my deck. And that's occured about 3 times in 2 years.

If you only traded 3 cards in 2 years, you're probably playing very casual magic. When I was playing Magic (I have restarted it last month), we had to buy and trade cards every time a new expansion came out, which was 4 times a year. And we're talking about trading a total of 30 or 40 cards each time here. If you didn't do this, you were eaten alive by the decent decks.

Unless you played white wheenie with cheap cards like me. I have this cool deck that doubles in verocity each time one of the better cards comes into play. It also costs $20 to get all the cards...

Well, not necessarily, you can buy tons from every new expansion and thus not needing to trade cards.
I won most of my cards via competition winning (free booster boxes, whee) so I could build most of my decks for free, and if I ever needed anything I would just get the cards individually.
As for white weenie, I was never a fan of it. For that matter I never liked mono-colored decks, kinda easy to predict overall. Black/Green or Blue/White/Green decks for me.

Uhm.. Pokemon cards, I once bought a booster pack out of curiosity, and managed to pull some 1st edition Charizard and some dude bought it from me for like 600 euro.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 07:41:26 pm by Panda »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #555 on: May 30, 2007, 07:41:20 pm
- i wanted to study some of the nice tiling and the interesting use of low poly 3d for the environments
???
whenever I play pearl, all I notice is the tiling errors and ugly sprite resizing :(
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #556 on: May 30, 2007, 08:05:02 pm
My weenie deck is red/white.
Has some burn damage too.
Total deck costed about 75 euros I calculated.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #557 on: May 30, 2007, 08:30:21 pm
pokemon, I remember I collected those. I spend around 400 euros on those cards and they all got stolen in school :blind:

I also played magic a few years back, I had a green deck I believe. All monsters cost much mana(?) in a green deck, and I had one card that was */* with *=total amount of mana cost for all your monster card, so I always beat the crap out of everyone with that card :lol: (we were young, we didnt know how to use instants or spells :hehe: )

I think that the card game franchise is set up pretty smart, especially pokemon. Some cards cost ofer 50 euros because they are 'rare' and shiney..whoohoo  and people actually buy them! (yeah, I did that to...)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:32:12 pm by dragonrc »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #558 on: May 30, 2007, 08:38:39 pm
I think this is very important.  Pokemon was a video game before it was a trading card game.  The card game, much like the shows and movie, was appended once it was discovered how successful the game was.  Trash the cards and the culture and the shows and the movies all you want (and the non-gamefreak games) but deep down there is a really fun little RPG at the heart of the thing, regardless of the morality of spinning it into an industry!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #559 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:05 pm
Adam is right! It's just an RPG that lets you collect pets and it has really cool elemental damage tables, and that's what makes it fun, not the franchise...