AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 243964 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #540 on: May 30, 2007, 05:52:17 pm
I guess I don't have the collector gene at all.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #541 on: May 30, 2007, 05:57:47 pm
All card trading games are the spawn of the devil, be it Magic, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh ALL OF THEM!!!!
I played Magic for quite some time when it was still newish, so I know what I am talking about. They just make you buy those little crap packs and you get lot's of doubles and then you need to find people to trade, but noone wants cards which are massively in the wild anyway. It's all a scheme to milk money from kids.

A guy I know who owns a comicshop told me that he does not sell them because they are evil, and there have been several cases of kids beating up other kids over Pokemon cards. Like beat a kid up who has a good card and steal it from them. I think it is superawesome of him not to sell tradingcards because of that.

So to conclude : Tradingcards = evil, videogames based on tradingcards, not quite as evil, still made to milk kids.  :n:
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #542 on: May 30, 2007, 06:07:36 pm
Nearly every single game, be it trading card games, computer games, bord games are made for milking out people on money these days. This world is about money, nearly everything is about money, money, money, money.
Off course they take money from you if you buy trading card games. I play Magic, but I barelly ever trade em, I only use em to play the actuall game.
I only trade something when I see something someone else has that I want in my deck. And that's occured about 3 times in 2 years.
I do think Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon are worse then Magic, cause they also have made action figures, cups, underpants, bed sheets and what not, and also have cartoons to make you think you can actually do it. While Magic doesn't have most of those. Magic is just alot less kiddie then yu-gi-oh and Pokemon.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #543 on: May 30, 2007, 06:14:42 pm
The difference is something which involves a constant expenditure of funds to keep fun, like Magic, or WoW and something which is an one-off purchase like most computer games. Yes they still are part of the market and the market's point is the circulation of money. One is more insidious than the other though, and rests upon hooking someone like an addict to their choice of entertainment and milking them until they're a dry husk only capable of uttering 'I tap my eight green lands and summon legendary beast'.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #544 on: May 30, 2007, 06:15:54 pm
HAHAHA, could not have said it better myself. I salute thee, Helm!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #545 on: May 30, 2007, 06:34:02 pm
If people want something they buy it and are happy. If it's too expensive or not fun they don't buy it. Some people buy cigarettes, a lot of them. Some buy pokemon cards or maybe a videogame now and then (you still can't get infinite fun with just one game). You get more funtime with more cards you buy and the same goes for buying new videogames. After the obligatory expenses, what is the function of money? To get something fun.

Some kid beating up another for cards is just due to a one twisted kid. I've never seen pokemon do evil. The kids are always happy showing their pokemans. Someone might get angry now and then if they fail hard, but that's life, can't always win.

If it's a scheme it's definatelly not hurting anyone. Kids are happy, schemers are happy. If parents/kids get unhappy they don't buy the cards anymore.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #546 on: May 30, 2007, 06:41:29 pm
Not for me Helm, I've actually just quit playing WoW, which I did play.
And I don't  do Magic anymore, but I have done it.
And I never say "I tap eight lands and summon big legendary beast" Cuz my deck is Boros and it's based on little weak cheap fast things :D

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #547 on: May 30, 2007, 06:42:40 pm
I enjoy Pokemon as a game, though I hate where they're taking it. They're trying too hard to add more pokemon, when I think 150+some of the cooler additions from the newer versions would suffice well enough. I still like the RPG aspect of collecting and such, and it's actually surprising to not see another game do something very similar like the many GTA knock-offs. But I agree, it's a very slow game and they need to fix that, the walking is slow, the battles are slow, everything about it tests your patience. And I too, would love to see them bring it to 3D like it's been mentioned, and it's a wonder why it hasn't been yet. I can see that game bringing in a lot of money.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #548 on: May 30, 2007, 06:42:48 pm
Some kid beating up another for cards is just due to a one twisted kid.

I used to be more clever and con them out of people.  man has it really been 7 years since pokemon cards came out - i feel so old.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #549 on: May 30, 2007, 06:52:25 pm
What a painful day for me, I'm mentally drained... I wish could drink alcohol with you guys.